Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel Pump Relay 83 GL

My question is: does the Subie wiring send a full 12 volts to the coil when the switch is turned to the start position?

Yes. 12v

From IG. switched fuse, to the above mentioned relay, junctions in the connector there, and out to the coil.

Thank you for the info!!!

Jack

no prob. and if you are having problems with your coil that could be why you are having problems with fuel pump relay. the relay has a safety feature so when you don't have spark you don't have fuel, just fyi

cool glad you found your problem. i had the same problem in my gl i haven't done this yet, but i saw a thread that said you can hook up a straight positive to your fuel pump and use your oil sending unit for the negative so the pump will only run when the engine is running. that is way cheaper than the fuel pump relay they want alot for those. right now i have a toggle switch on mine :lol:

Edited by mikaleda

• 3 weeks later...

Ah so now that I have time and show is over went back to trouble shooting.. I have power everywhere including fpcu and @ the pump but something isn't making the connection to send the ground back to the pump. So the question is will it hurt anything to pull the ground output wire from the fpcu and and replace with a good ground?

Throwing in one more tidbit here. For troubleshooting challenged.

This might only apply to the blue FPCU.

The Big black wire on the FPCU plug is hot only when the key is on not acc. So is the yellow wire though I think that may be the trigger. The two blue wires share a plug Are the supplied power to the pump and not sure what else. The small black wire is fuel pump ground. So to make it all work I added a ground wire put spade terminal on it and plugged it into the ground supplied to the pump and jumped the tellow wire to the two blue ones. Now maybe this is long winded but I did just wake up and thought I would share so maybe someone else doesn't have to do all the testing and double checking that I did.

Good luck

Mike