Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello All,

I'm a newly registered member, but have been reading this message board for a while and have always found it fun and interesting.

I have a '99 Forester with 80k miles. The Check Engine light recently came on and my code reader tells me the DTC is P0483 - Fan 3 Control Circuit. Does anyone have any idea what this means and what the repair would be? I can't seem to find any information on it.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Bob

You have a cooling system issue. Basically the vehicle is trying to over-heat. You need to check the freeze frame data and report back. What I need to know is at what speed did the code set? Is the vehicle going thru coolant? It is possible for this code to be set by a failing head gasket. Yet the most common problem is a restriced radiator. In other words replace the radiator and the thermostat. As long as you are not going thru coolant. I've repaired this code at least 5 times now. It is begining to become a major issue on later model Subaru vehicles.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the help. I was doing between 35 & 40 MPH when the light first came on.

Coincidentally, I just had the water pump and thermostat replaced during a timing belt job (might-as-well syndrome). Based on your analysis, I'm going to assume it was a bad/failing thermostat. So, this morning, I cleared the code and will wait to see if it re-sets itself after a few driving cycles. If it does, then I'll look into replacing the radiator and/or head caskets.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

Bob

• 3 years later...

hope I'm not hijacking this thread,but my wife's 04 obw is also giving the p0483 code. Took the car to Autozone for the freee scan. Not sure if the guy cleared the code or not, but the check engine light is still on. Is there a trick to getting the fan relays out? I suppose the best thing to do is check the relays, then the fans. But after that, I will be asking for more help. This car has 52k miles on it and this is the first code. Is this a warranty issue? Not encouraged to hear that this is a growing problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Pat

[...]Coincidentally, I just had the water pump and thermostat replaced during a timing belt job (might-as-well syndrome). Based on your analysis, I'm going to assume it was a bad/failing thermostat. [...]
Are you saying that the CEL came on before the work was done, or after? If after, make sure that an OEM (Subaru) thermostat was used -- aftermarket ones often don't perform well.

just throwing this out there....could it be a defective CTS?......
Possibly -- the ECU is looking for a certain change in the CTS reading based on fan opertion, and can generate the code if it doesn't see it. However, if no codes other than P0483 are generated, the fan opertion itself should be looked at.