Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A/C clutch repair...

Has anyone succesfully removed, rebuilt then re-installed the A/C cluth compressor on a 1993 Loyale EA82?

Everytime the I turn the A/C on, it starts to smoke. Meaning, it is burning the belt.

I've removed & replaced the belt.

I've re-tightened the belt, being 100% sure the tension is correct.

I've even replaced the belt.

So at this point, I am absolutely certain the issue lies within the A/C Compressor Assembly, specifically the Clutch components.

I understand that this is a servicable part. But is it worth it?

Or do people generally just replace the entire compressor as to avoid any agravation.

And, if I opt to R & R the clutch, who will sell me a new one? Should a regular parts store carry the A/C Clutch and shims?

Thank you,

Gabe

Some missing information: Does the A/C blows cool air while it Works hard, or it isn't working at all?

By reading your description, I believe that the problem is Not the A/C Clutch, (it only engages or disengages and it is doing its job) I believe the compressor might have a worn or stuck ball bearing, and / or it could be somehow "Too Hard" to spin, in example: Low Oil on the R12 gas Mixture.

Usually people Swap the Compressor... with another used one from a Junk Yard that if works, it will fail soon due to the same reasons that the old compressor had: Age / Rust \ usage.

I Kindly suggest you to take your subie to a certified A/C Technician, in order to check the compressor's behaviour, usually those technicians could rebuild the Compressor with new internals if it needs it, or change the Old Oil / Gas Mixture on the System to let the compressor spin softer.

Good Luck!

Kind regards.