Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1993 Subaru Loyale fires but doesn't start

Hello,

I've been having issues with my 1993 Loyale. Mostly it's been just loss of power when pushing hard on the gas and inconsistent RPMs, worse when it's cold.

Recently though, it won't start. At first it will act like it starts, then just dies. It dies faster at this point if I give it gas, but rpms get really low and it dies no matter what. If I "feather" the gas it might stay alive a bit longer, but it will eventually succumb. After that, no amount of cranking will start it. If I let it sit for a while (overnight usually) it might start, but probably not.

I suspect the fuel pump / fuel system. The fuel filter isn't clogged, and while I had it off I had my dad hold the hose (from the pump) out while I cranked it to see if it would spurt out fuel. It didn't.

My next plan of action is to check that the fuel pump is getting power, and to maybe bang on it with a rubber mallet and see if that can get it to start. But does anyone else have some feedback that might help me get this girl running before school starts? I have a motorcycle that I use but I need this running before winter hits. And I am ready to look for used fuel pumps (even F150 pumps) in a wrecking yard or get one for $165 off Amazon, but I want to be fairly certain it's the fuel pump.

Any feedback? Thanks!

Well, when you turn the ignition on, do you hear it whine for approx 2 seconds? If you want to by pass that anyway just for diagnostics, you can ground the pump right at the body so it will run full time with ignition on (instead of using the ECM to ground it).

Also, pull the distro cap to make sure the rotor/distro is spinning, and check the timing of the valves (timing belt alignment). lazy/old tensioners or belts can cause skipping.

Otherwisem the basics. check for spark, do a comp check, look/smell for LARGE amounts of unburnt or raw fuel.. report back!

cougar, did that and it started up. Thanks for the tips everyone. This afternoon I went to a yard and grabbed a fuel pump off a 92 loyale wagon. After getting covered on grease I swapped it in and it runs beautifully. I'm really happy; its been running bad for a year and I think It's because if the pump. $16 and it runs like it should.

cougar, did that and it started up. Thanks for the tips everyone. This afternoon I went to a yard and grabbed a fuel pump off a 92 loyale wagon. After getting covered on grease I swapped it in and it runs beautifully. I'm really happy; its been running bad for a year and I think It's because if the pump. $16 and it runs like it should.

Do not through the old one away. About four years ago my fuel pump quit working. I removed it from the vehicle, smacked it with the hammer lightly and it has been running since that (cross my fingers). Yours might be the same.

Sam

Do not through the old one away. About four years ago my fuel pump quit working. I removed it from the vehicle, smacked it with the hammer lightly and it has been running since that (cross my fingers). Yours might be the same.

Sam

You have been very lucky.

Rapping the fuel pump with something can bring them back to life, but almost always it is a temporary fix.

• Like 1