Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I did it and I continue to do them for customers. If you need your harness done let me know. Ive done some and have all the instructions. I am about a month out on them at the moment. The harness needs to be from the same donor vehicle as the engine intake manifold to work with as few check engine lights and problems as is possible.

Cams: Remove them from your engine cylinder heads and ship them to Delta Camshaft in Tacoma Washington.

Pistons-I wouldn't even bother. The stock ones are fine.

Replace the Radiator and the fan sending unit on the radiator while you have it out.

I prefer the Small Car conversion parts-more expensive but I think they are worth it.

Do the Timing belt and if you need a kit contact me I can send you a good one that isn't expensive.

Next month I am doing an 86 Syncro Weekender camper and installing a 3.0 H6 engine.

We have a Vanagon conversion forum here on the site, its not very well used but we have one:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42

I am thinking stock parts but have read that the 25 has coated pistons and solid lifters creating less friction. Is it worth thinking about changing the heads and do have they upgraded the pistons to a coated version?

Thanks

The 2.2 has the long skirt pistons and no need for coating.

The HLA's are a good and a bad thing. When they are right I have no problems with them and they perform well. Nice and quiet and rarely an issue with them. If they do fail, a little ticking and its easy to change them out in the van.

2.5 heads on a 2.2 block will lower compression and make less power.

For less Friction get a set of roller rockers with solid adjusters and matching cams from a 97-99 2.2. Send the cams to Delta for a Torque profile grind.

No point changing pistons unless they are damaged. 2.5 pistons are coated in an effort to reduce piston slap. The old 2.2 doesn't have that problem.