Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need warranty and or recall advice for '03 Outback

A friend of mine is buying an '03 Outback from another friend who is the original owner. The dealer is saying the headgaskets are leaking oil and coolant and need immediate attention. They asked me about warranty or recall issues that should be addressed before they transfer title. I don't know New Gen stuff that well yet, so I thought I would ask. It's got 97k on it. I believe it's and auto trans. Runs great.

Is there anything they should have warrantied, replaced, or repaired before the original owner isn't the owner anymore?

Yes, there are major headgasket issues on those 2.5 motors. Every one should be done at 80-90k, new gaskets and resurfacing. 400-500$... unless things have gotten real bad. No major recalls on '03s i'm aware of. At that mileage new belts would probably not be a bad idea. New waterpump as well (that is like the only recall on g3 outbacks). These are by no means expensive or difficult jobs. Waterpump 30-50$ less than hour to replace, belts.. well.. they're belts, it's not hard. Suspension is also due too, for new struts. Springs should be fine.

Edited by lesstutrey

Perfect, thanks.

I was going to ask you about the "unusual" links you have...But, I thank you for teaching me about a creature I may have never known existed, in a place I will probably never see. I have passed your link onto others who may also appreciate being so enlightend.

Good luck to your friend w/their Soob purchase. -K