Ultimate Subaru Message Board

does any one have any experience with a good, decent, quality carpet dye kit.?

i would like to change a tan carpet into dark gray or black.

there seem to lots of ''vinyl'' dyes out there and some claim to be for carpet but i'm not sure a spray can of color is going to last on carpet.

thought or suggestions?

thanks,

john

Edited by johnceggleston

pull the carpet out and buy you a disposable plastic rubbermaid tub and a 6 bottles of black RIT brand liquid dye. add water and soak. I don't remember how long, but maybe overnight? then rinse, vacuum with wet/dry vac, and let sun dry. then brush with a nylon brush and it will look brand new. I have seen some people do it with a spray bottle but i think without rinsing the excess, it can have some residual back transfer to anything in the floors like shoes, bags and papers.

Edited by Ricearu

well, my first try was not too successful. i only used 3 bottles of dye, when i got to the store i had forgotten how many to buy. but that does not seem to be the issue, i don't know. but it came out spotted in places. like a tie dying sort of. mostly dark but with brown spots scattered around. i assume this was due to the folding, rolling of the carpet and dye not circulating. but maybe caused by only using only 3 bottles of dye. and it has a dark dark midnight blue tone. not the black that i wanted but i could live with it. and maybe the best i can hope for since i'm going from brown to black.

so i'm going to try again with more dye.

any suggestions? maybe i'll fold it up a different way this time.

Edited by johnceggleston