Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Impreza Outback Sport Suspension Issue

99 Impreza Outback Sport.

Ok, guys.. Been meaning to replace the struts on this car anyway but have developed at 'knock' noise at times when hitting a bump on rough roads. I thought it was maybe due for ball joints also but jacked up front end and put a small pry bar on the ball joints to check for looseness but they seem tight. Checked everything I could under the car, and can't find anything loose anywhere.

Any ideas what else I could check for? 206k miles on the car.

Thanks,

UMT

Looked at those and looks like they (like everything else under there) maybe need replacing but don't think that's the problem.

Any other ideas?

Right now, I think I'm going to start with the struts and take it from there.

Thanks,

UMT

Check the inner tie rod ends. For some reason they like to wear out on these cars and can be hard to identify. If the steering rack boots have ever been split and replaced there's a good chance the inner rod joint got dirt/sand in it and is now worn just enough to clunk every now and then.

Strut mounts on these seem to go bad as well, but it's worth checking the inner rod ends.

Probably struts. I have the exact same vehicle. Had same issues, but I knew the struts had to be replaced. When removed, the strut came down by its own weight!

Do search on replacing, for you don't have to separate the brake lines to remove or replace.

O.

Probably struts. I have the exact same vehicle. Had same issues, but I knew the struts had to be replaced. When removed, the strut came down by its own weight!

Do search on replacing, for you don't have to separate the brake lines to remove or replace.

O.

Yeah, I'm aware of that one.

Thanks!