Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thinking about a DIY vinyl roof overlay

So my 98 OBS has really bad peeling paint and I'm not wanting to dump tons of money into a paint job. Its really just the roof, hood scoops, and right below the rear window on the hatch that are peeling. I'm not sure why the cars paint is in such bad shape other than it spent most of its life in the sun in California. I have tried to buff it out thinking it could just be oxidized paint but its through the clear coat.

My idea for a cheaper solution is to order a few large sheets of the 3m vinyl and apply it over the scoops and roof. My question is is it hard to do? I have done decals but nothing this size and i have read that you can heat it up a bit to make it wrap around edges i.e the three roof rack rails that are attached directly to the roof. I would love any input from anyone who has worked with that vinyl before to see if I should do it myself or save up and have a shop do it. Thanks

post-32204-136027659985_thumb.jpg

post-32204-136027659992_thumb.jpg

My 97 OBS has similar issues on the hood scoop & vents. I think it's just an issue with poor paint.

As for the vinyl, it will likely be kind of difficult getting it perfect. I've got a friend who does vinyl work for a living. He and friend wrapped his STi in vinyl and said it was a big pain in the butt.

Years back, I had a Pontiac wagon with the woody grain vinyl sides. The vinyl began to deteriorate badly with peeling and color fading. I repaired using vinyl shelf sheets, the kind made for kitchen cabinet shelving. I cut the sheets with scissors, pulled off the paper backing, and the adhesive on the back of the vinyl stuck well to the side of the car. It was pretty easy to push out bubbles of air under the vinyl to make a good looking appearance.

The kitchen vinyl is rather thin, so it doesn't last more then 3 years, but it was no big deal to add more vinyl right over the previously applied vinyl that was applied years earlier.

I remember the vinyl sheets were available in a variety of colors, and wood grains, and the nice thing is that the sheets are inexpensive.

I would suggest looking into this approach/

I recommend the 3M 1080 scotchprint,(it comes in lots of colors too) it is really easy to work with.

a friend of mine did the roof on his Infiniti G35 and he had some peeling paint towards the front of the roof line, he sanded down the edges of the peeling paint and primed the area then wrapped it with the vinyl.

I am going to wrap my canopy for my truck with this same stuff.

Ben

Ill definetley look into the 3m stuff I dont know if ill be able to get it on the hood scoops but its worth a try. Can it be heated slighly to be able to form around curved edges? And as for the car wash question I dont know I bought the car a few years back so its life before I bought it is unkown but now that I think about it I guess a lot of car was trips could wear the paint down. I have always hand washed all my rigs thats how you really get to know them haha. I know shes an older impreza but im hoping I can give her a bit of a touch up to keep her lookin a bit better, plus its a 2.2 that just hit 140k So I should have many more miles to go. I just installed a new oem clutch kit and will be doing the timing belt soon. Last owner did the belt but none of the pullies or the water pump so guess ill be re-doing it.

The above link shows an entire car wrap with the 3M material. At 2:48 they are applying it to the rear vent area. If you look on the related links to the right of the video, there are examples where they wrapped tire rims in this material. This stuff is pretty impressive.

Features:

• Self-adhesive back with 3M™ Comply adhesive
  • Pressure-activated adhesive. No WATER needed for installation.
  • Air Egress Technology
  • Lay-flat, bubble free installation
  • Can be re-lifted, repositioned and stretched
  • Stretchable with heat
  • Conform to contours and bend easily
  • High temperature & water resistant
  • Install Temp: 60F to 80F (16C to 32C)
  • End Use Temp: -65F to 225F (-60C to 107C)
  • Can be cleaned with soap and water
  • Stands up against water, dirt, grease, salt, mild acids and oil.
  • Long life with excellent UV durability: Up to 6yr. outdoor/unlimited indoor
  • Design for auto wrapping, 3.5 mil (.0035" thick film)

Edited by brus brother