Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey guys, quick question. First off, I've searched and found SOME information but nothing involving the exact issue that I have or at least that I can match up the information too.

2008 Legacy Ltd 2.5 67,300 miles.

The airbag light on my cluster comes on, sometimes right away, sometimes after I drive awhile. After a little bit of troubleshooting I've narrowed it down to something in the passenger seat. If all is working well the airbag light is off and the passenger airbag indicator in the overhead cluster says "OFF." However, if the dash airbag light is on, the overhead indicator does not indicate either way. If I sit in the passenger seat then the over head indicator will show "ON" and the passenger seat belt light will flash. If I get out, the "ON" light goes out and the "OFF" light does not come up and of course, the dash cluster airbag light remains lit.

So it seems as if the pressure sensor in the seat is working. It will queue the airbag to ready and the seat belt sensor to activate. What could be the problem? It appears as though the car can not determine if the airbag if "OFF" but can definitely tell when it needs to be readied and readies accordingly. I haven't taken it to the dealer yet.

simplest way to proceed is to read the air bag code. there's going to be a connector somewhere and you ground one of the pins in the connector to get it to flash the code. you can usually find where online or someone here may know. older Subaru's are above the gas pedal.

once you ground the appropriate pin then the air bag light starts flashing a sequence. read the number of flashes and that's your code.

while it's tricky to figure out the pin that's better than guessing.

I doubt they have warranties of any kind ...

As for finding the code ... I've done some searching and the only thing I can find is a guy from vhix411.com doing a video with a 2003 STI to read the code. Not sure whether or not it would be the same thing. I guess I should try and find that connector. If its the same it'll be behind the fuse box ... what a pain.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/42574-2006-obw-airbag-lig

ht-my-fix.html

I had the same intermittent problem and was diagnosed by a Subaru tech as a courtesy.

I just replaced the overhead map light console in my 08 OB.

I wonder how many of these have failed and if SOA would provide the number. The problem being that if that light is ON, the airbag system is OFF. So this does become a safety issue and not just a blinky light problem.

Anyway, replacement was fairly simple.

Instructions with pictures linked above.

Pry off light lens, 4 Phillips screws, 2 electrical connections. Replace with new unit and the problem has not returned since.

As linked above, I have read that others experimented with re soldering the components on the small circuit board but I didn't try it myself.

I paid about $100 for the console and of course SOA "never heard of a problem" with these units, even though I snagged one at my local dealership that was already on order for another customer.

I saved the old one if anyone wants to tinker around OR if SOA decides to step up and acknowledge what is a real safety issue.

Might be worth a shot to discuss this with the dealer or call SOA directly but they didn't budge for me. SOA could easily make a claim against the board manufacturer for faulty work and look like a champ but now they look like chumps.

BTW I notice you are from Harrisonburg. My GPS always pronounces it Harry Sonburg. If you see Harry, give him my regards.:burnout:

Edited by brus brother

Brus - Its funny that you mention this. I noticed this morning when I got in my car the "OFF" light was not illuminated and the cluster AIRBAG light also was not on. So, I thought, "what the heck, I'll give it a smack." A gentle smack (not a hit) later, and the light illuminated properly. Later, nothing would turn on, so I conducted the same procedure and of course, it lit up. So I'm beginning to think there's nothing wrong with the seat (thankfully) and its just the overhead console. I'll have to follow the procedure you outlined and check first and foremost if there's a simple connection problem in it.

Thanks for the post!