Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone know how to change a cluster?

I have a 96 OB and it has a bad odometer. The car has over 350k miles and title branded with unknown mileage so no I'm not doing anything illegal. I tried replacing it and it works but the parking lights always stay on unless I put the old cluster back in. Anyone know the trick to this? Does it have to be programmed to the car? Any help is appreciated!

I don't think Subaru ever did that, they use separate security modules by Alpine and Code Alarm for example. I can look in my manual later at the wiring diagram and try to see what in the instrument cluster could make the parking lights stay on.

I know there's a few connectors on the panel, can you identify which connector, when connected, makes the parking lights come on?

Does your 96 even have an alarm system?

Only 95 and 96 gauge clusters with the 140 mph speedo and white needles are compatible. Other ones won't work right/at all. The cluster has nothing to do with the parking lights, that's weird. But every time I take one of those out I bump the parking light switch on.

No its the right year and I even drove it to verify the speedo and od work correctlty. Weird. I have done the swap twice but maybe I just pulled a bonehead move.....twice. LOL I'll try it again this weekend and report back. Thanks for the feedback guys!

Edited by darkducati