Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea 82 over cooling!?

One of the funny things about our cars (add it to the list, eh?) is that unlike most other makes, the electric fan was primarily for cooling the engine, while the clutch fan was primarily for the A/C system [source: 1988 L-series and 1987 XT FSMs]. The A/C system would often run the electric fan in conjunction with the clutch fan, but its primary air mover was supposed to be the clutch fan; cars without A/C lacked the clutch fan.

One of the funny things about our cars (add it to the list, eh?) is that unlike most other makes, the electric fan was primarily for cooling the engine, while the clutch fan was primarily for the A/C system [source: 1988 L-series and 1987 XT FSMs]. The A/C system would often run the electric fan in conjunction with the clutch fan, but its primary air mover was supposed to be the clutch fan; cars without A/C lacked the clutch fan.

I like the clutch fan for the simple reason- IT always works:D The electric one"s-they seem to know the worst time TO Quit:banghead: The worst part of a LONG Steep climb- unless it"s hooked up direct!!!

I see. So my primary system has failed...I should run a hot wire to see if it even works, side thought. As for the clutch fan I can defiantly understand how it might be confused since it does seem a bit backwards to ad a cultch fan to a car that's already running an electric fan. Unless it was cheaper from a manufacture stand point but than why not run the clutch fan on every car and only ad an electric fan to a/c cars? Idk. I have read that removing the clutch fan is believed to increase the life of water pump but unless the fan is out of balance I don't see how that would help any. The water pump is still going to turn the same rpm irregardless if the fan is working right or not. Unless like I said it was out of balance, right?

Not that this isn't possible, but the ONLY time I've ever seen my elec fan kick on is during the summer with the A/C on (the gauge would get to half) at idle. However, I can hear the clutch fan working harder in the summer way before the electric one comes on... (i.e. when pulling away from a light, it would make the traditional "jet engine" noise then trail off as I kept moving, at a constant RPM)