Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy steering rack- manual steering?

Soooooo.... I have a leaky steering rack- really leaking! The problem is that I currently work two jobs and have no time to deal with this- could I possibly disconnect the power steering lines and plumb them together and just have manual steering? Would the rack rapidly fail because of this? I am going to replace it soonish, so I don't care about re- buildablity of the rack assembly. Let me know your feedback on this... On and by the way, my old subie is on her death bed, so I really don't want to sink much more money into her!

two other alternatives i would prefer:

1. disconnect the power steering pump belt. if it's no longer under pressure maybe the leak would subside considerably and not be such an annoyance?

2. dump a bottle of power steering stop leak into it. i usually suggest avoiding that kind of stuff but the car or rack is about to get junked anyway so doesn't really matter.

3. both of the above.

could I possibly disconnect the power steering lines and plumb them together and just have manual steering?
yes but i'm confused: "my rack is leaking - let me make sure i can't add any more fluid next time it leaks"? i'm not sure what it would gain you to run the lines together?

Would the rack rapidly fail because of this?
no. power steering racks work just fine as manual racks. a power steering rack without power though is much harder to turn than a manual rack - that's the difference.

you could probably just get a bolt of the same threads or cap off the ends somehow and leave the hoses i place - fill the ends with weld or something...or as you said plumb them together, whatever is easiest. it won't need to be continuous, the fluid is mostly a lubricant at that point and won't need to "flow" so to speak.

One question, what condition are the boots for the inner tie rod boots? You can convert the rack to a manual, but you still need to have those boots sealed otherwise dirt will screw up the inner tie rods and possibly the bearings (bushings) at the rack.