Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I own a 99' Forester with 190,000 miles. I am trying to decide if it is time to sell. It needs an exhaust system, new tires before next winter, regenerative gas fume system repaired before E-check in March, it is burning oil (2 quarts per 7000 miles), leaks transmission fluid, and cv joints are clicking in sharp turns. It only has a few rust spots. Interior and exterior are fine. It runs fine. Any thoughts?

How much can you sell it for? foresters tend to keep their book values well, not only for it being a subaru, but for others in the compact SUV market, although we all know that it is a tall impreza wagon!

My folks have a 98 forester with about 180 on the odo, timing belts and HG's were done at 120, and we got it for 1750 when we could have easily turned around and sold it for $3000.

If you can sell for 3 or better, take the money and run.

Be aware, that if you put the cost into fixing it up, you may as well keep it, as any cost to fix it will not be seen back in book value; I.E., a $1,000 car with $1,000 worth of work into it is still a $1,000 car

I own a 99' Forester with 190,000 miles. I am trying to decide if it is time to sell. It needs an exhaust system, new tires before next winter, regenerative gas fume system repaired before E-check in March, it is burning oil (2 quarts per 7000 miles), leaks transmission fluid, and cv joints are clicking in sharp turns. It only has a few rust spots. Interior and exterior are fine. It runs fine. Any thoughts?

if you've owned it for 14 years, you're probably getting tired of it too.

While everything you listed can either be repaired or 'lived with', I doubt anyone would fault you for letting this go to a kid who needs a school car or w'ever.

a lot of what you list are normal wear items.

what part of the exhaust? y-pipe or downstream (cats, resonator, etc.)

1 qt. in 3500 miles isn't a bad oil leak.

on the other hand, what are you considering replacing it with?

That's all the usual stuff except burning oil, and that could be as simple as a plugged PCV valve.

Exhaust pipes rust and rubber parts (boots, tires, etc) wear out.

What code do you have for the EGR? That could be a simple fix like cleaning the EGR valve or replacing a vacuum hose.

Probably worth $2500 or better, could be a good buy for a local mechanic or like Texan said, someone's kid who needs it to get to school.

I would think you could have all of that fixed for under $1500 if you can do some of the work yourself. Tires and exhaust being the biggest expense.

sorry about the unreliability.

if the only exhaust problem is the flange, a shop should be able to easily put a new flange in, for around $50 unless its too close to the cat for example. I've had it done at least twice. For some reason the flange steel seems to rust 2-3 times faster than the pipes.