Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CV axle issues

Hey guys,

I have a 94' loyale, 5sp with 130,000 miles on it. I replaced the passenger side half axle about 4 weeks ago, after about 300 miles it started clicking and knocking really bad and only got worse, it also made the loyale pull to the left pretty bad. I figured it was a bad reman because I have heard that happens. Not a huge problem, I took it back to auto zone and they warrantied it. So I threw the new one in there last weekend, it was fine for about 100 miles or so but now with about 200 miles on it it is doing the same thing just not quite as bad, yet. Do you guys think it is just another bad reman? Is autozone notorious for having crappy remans? Could something else be causing the axle to fail like that? Any help would be awesome, I don't want to keep doing this every couple weeks....

Thanks

Although the clicking suggests a different issue, I would check that I installed the dished washer on the axle the correct way, and also make sure I retorqued the axle nut.

The axle doesn't always seat fully in the hub when you install it, and with some driving it tends to free up and start sliding axially in the hub, making various noises. Retorqueing will eliminate this slack.

The dished washer needs to go on properly, otherwise it does not provide proper pressures on the hub and the axle, again allowing the axle to slide axially in the hub.

At one time, I thought that I had gotten a series of bad "re-man"s, and for me it turned out that I was just not doing a proper job installing them.

The small number of miles suggests to me axle slack, but it could just be bad axles.

I made sure the washer was facing the correct direction, with the letters "out" well, facing outward. I will re-torque the axle nut today and see if that makes a difference. I replaced the driver side axle about 35,000 miles ago and have had zero issues with that one so I feel like I am installing this one correctly. Thanks for the suggestions

All aftermarket remans are crappy. This topic has been exhaustively covered, so now that you have a few posts under your belt you can find more info than you probably want to know by doing searches.

The loose consensus is to either buy new aftermarket EMPI axles, buy MWE reman OEM axles, or get a used OEM axle and clean, re-grease, and reboot.

And make sure you follow Northwet's advice...that applies to any and every axle you may choose. That axle nut requires a lot of torque or you'll have problems. I don't know the spec for a '94 ea82, but the earlier models require 145 ft-lbs of torque on the castle nut, plus up to 30 degrees more rotation to align the cotter pin hole with the castle nut slots. Your Loyale should be the same or very similar.

Once I improved my installation method, the only issues that I have had with remanufactured axles has been with failure of often low-quality boots. I am not saying that they are all wonderful axles (please consider the advice given about which to buy), but they should be at least serviceable.

Also, it seems generally considered that it is nearly impossible to overtorque the axle nut. (I know, sounds like a challenge... :headbang: ) Some people suggest torquing into the 200-225ft-lb range. Don't be shy using your torque wrench.

Good luck!

All aftermarket remans are crappy.

I have to disagree. I bought 2 remans from Autozone recently for my wheeler. They are both installed, and doing great. Inexpnesive ($40+core) and they where the rare "large" 92AC joints with the 23splines:headbang: (3AT turbo car axles)

I have had more issues with "new" chinese axles than with true remans.

Additionally, the "new" axles from china, don't have compatible splines, cups, boots, etc....to mix parts with OE axles. They have heat scorching from poor tooling and too little coolant during manufacturing.

Bottom line, is that getting alxes for these 20+ year old cars is becoming a crap shoot.

I preffer the remans still. I keep all my OE axle shafts. 5-15 more years, and you won't be able to get them.

When I replaced the axle on my '90 Loyale I had all kinds of squeeking and clicking noises. After much fretting and fussing I found that over-torqueing the axle nut finally resolved the problem.

I first torqued it to spec, then a bit more to align the castle nut to the next available notch, then torqued it to one more notch over.

I then drove it for a while and it has been just fine since. About 1000 miles so far and all is OK.