Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Oil Pump, where to get at fantastically low prices?

So I was perusing the intraweb looking for a new OEM oil pump for my EA82. I had been reading all the other threads, I know that others on this board have gotten good deals from Thepartsbin.com and even their stealerships for under 90 bucks for the oil pump.

Any online parts search nets me very high prices for this part (I need to cure my TOD!) Thepartsbin has it for 170, and Subarugenuineparts has it for 131.72 (w/o gauge, but I have a gauge...) and 146.36 for the one w/gauge I assume.

I was just seeing if anyone had a better current source for more affordable options for the pump. Thanks!

Sounds about right to me.  I paid about 150 for the last one I purchased.

Are you sure you need a new pump?  Is you old one scored or damaged?  Have you measured it to see if it's within spec?

The reason I ask, is that the pumps themselves don't often fail......ussually you can solve any oiling issues by resealing the shaft, the body, and the passage gasket(Mickey Mouse).  If you still have valve clatter, you can reseal the Cam Case O-rings, and check the pressure relief springs in each Cam Tower.

Needing a new pump is not very common.

I had installed a new mickey mouse gasket last week, didn't really solve much. The little ring was a little bit deformed, but not much. Now that I think back, I had the engine out to reseal everything.... Then I was in a hurry to slap everything back together, and didn't bother to read the manual or watch MilesFox's videos... *ahem* forgot to put in the o-rings between the tower and head *ahem*. BUT in my defense, I didn't recall ever seeing o-rings in those spots prior. Maybe I'm just that unobservant.

Anyway lemme get those back in... I need to get the WRX back in streetable mode before I do any engine work to the GL.

Yes.  Recently, in another thread, a member stated that MilesFox's video showed the use of a regular, rubber o-ring rather than the Subaru rubberized metal washer/gasket.  (I have not followed up to verify that statement.)  If it is true, MilesFox may have had a reason that I do not know.  Previous "wisdom" has said that only the proper gasket shoud be used, and my experience with installing a rubber o-ring instead has supported this in my mind.  (Plus, I have about 20 of the "official" gaskets, so I am more likely to use them.)

Edit:  My internet bandwidth is poor, so discourages me from watching video streams.  :endEdit

Edited by NorthWet

Ya what's up with that, my 09 WRX oil pump is $131 off subarugenuineparts, cheaper than the damn GL's

Oh, on a side note, it's raining a good amount outside, I had the joy of hearing absolutely no TOD for almost the whole trip other than a cold startup... just my cats rattling inside. It's not my heatshields either, those are all gone. It was a real treat.

Edited by ricepapertiger

The pump seal kits are pretty minimal cost, compared to the pump $10-$15.Shawn at retroroo.com is probably going to be about as reasonable as anywhere.I have a feeling that if it wasn't for Shawn this forum would NOT be what it is, what better place to support then a place that makes this forum GO!!!For example he is shipping me a water pump for the EA82 for $37 + shipping, right in line with RockAuto actually a little cheaper, it is one of the Japan made ones.

I had installed a new mickey mouse gasket last week, didn't really solve much.

You need to take the pulley off, and reseal the shaft too.  As well as the big o-ring and the Mickey Mouse.

DEFINATELY need to have some kind of o-ring in the cam towers (reinforced last longer, but a regular one will work for some time)

While you've got the towers off, stretch the springs in the relief valves a little but, it will raise the pressure at the HLA's a tad.