Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking to buy 2003 Subaru WRX need advice

Whats up? I just recently joined the forum hoping that I can get some advice on a purchase that I'm planning on getting soon, so I figured this would be a good place to ask the questions before buying.  I currently drive a 2000 honda prelude SH and am looking to sell to get a 2003 Subaru WRX.  My questions are... How good is the 2003 WRX? Are there any known major problems with that year? I would probably be getting one with around 130k and up as for as mileage goes, so are there any costly known issues around that mileage point? How many miles can you expect the engine / trans to last before a major rebuild is needed as long as maintenance is kept up? I've always liked the WRX, so i'm hoping to hear good feedback on the overall quality of the car.  I've done some research and have read pretty good reviews, but i'm looking for more detailed around this year and model.  How's the interior / power of the car overall as a daily driver?

Thanks in advance, hopefully purchasing the car works out and i'll be come an active member from there

I DD an 06 WRX Sportwagon that I bought new.

the main issue I see, is a general fear of buying a used, inexpensive sports car that may have been reamed-out by a kid. So, see if someone can recommend a soob-experienced mechanic in your city and have a pre-purchase inspection done. You don't want to pay top dollar for a subaru with torque bind or turbo problems.

ANY 10 year old car is gonna exhibit issues more closely related to its previous care, and its current condition - regardless of brand or model. Spend $125 or w'ever to get it checked out by a mechanic.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan