Ultimate Subaru Message Board

3.0 h6 engine water pump question

i just put a engine  in my 2002 outback 3.0 h6 moter runs great then water pump  failed need to change out . I know how to get to the pump my problem is i practiced on the junk 3.o h6  to remove water pump and noticed when i loosened the timing chain right side of engine the head gears rolled need to loosen chain i think to get water pump out how do you hold two gears in place when you loosen timing chain dont want to get out of time is there a special tool ?

no need to worry about one of them snapping out of place, it's not a big deal if done properly.  if it moves - move it back!!!!  if you're competent enough to swap an engine and do this job to begin with then there's hardly any concerns about moving one little pulley a few degrees.  compared to the scope of that job - moving a pulley is chump change.

line the crank up properly so there's no possible valve interactions and you're golden.

it's normal for a cam to be semi-loaded due to valve train tension and they'll snap out of place, all Subaru engines are like that.  no big deal, just rotate it right back where it was when you go to reinstall the timing chain (or belt on those models).

there are some great pictures and write ups of H6 timing chain components and replacement on subaruoutback.org - i'd look at those threads first, all of those guys did it.

of couse you can buy Subaru's special tool for holding them. check ebay sometimes special tools end up there, or make something similar yourself.