Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ignition Problem. Car won't start without wiggling key

Car; 1999 Outback 2.5l Manual Trans

One quirk the car has is it won't turn over unless I wiggle the key in the ignition. Went ahead and replaced the starter and double checked all connections to starter/battery because it was warrantied and the issue persists. Battery is new. 

All research for these symptoms points towards ignition switch or lose ignition related wiring. 

Going to be discouraging if this is the ignition switch. All internet results yield that screwing with the ignition switch s-u-c-k-s. Anyone know what route to take? 

Also, on a completely unrelated note, when I was replacing my starter and had the airbox off, I noticed this harness just hanging out. Brand new to this car so I'm not sure what it's purpose is. Pic here: http://i.imgur.com/0tviqT6.jpg

All help/information is greatly appreciated !

While replacing the starter didn't solve the issue you were most likely getting near the end of life of the solenoid contacts anyways so it wasn't a total waste of time and money.

From what you say about the trouble it does sound like the ignition switch is bad and you need to replace the switch section of it. Clean the battery cable connections and see if that helps. You can check the voltage on most of the fuses in the dash fuse panel to see if power gets to them when you turn the key to ON.

Yeah I figured replacing the starter wasn't a total loss at all (plus it was free, just took some of my time).

I'll give the volt meter a shot tomorrow and I'll also spray some contact cleaner up in the keyhole. Thanks for the tip

Has anyone ever dealt with the ignition before? 

Ignition switch is really not that difficult to change. Remove the covers on the steering column, harness unplugs under the dash, fish the wiring out and remove a screw or two from the switch. Pull it straight out away from the column.

This could also be a poor contact in the clutch safety switch. Try pressing down harder on the clutch pedal before turning the key.

Contact cleaner will not clean the electrical contacts of the Ign Switch.  If you end up needing one, I have one with keys.  You will have to drill the heads off the bolts to get the ignition switch assy out.

Make sure you don't have an aftermarket security system as I've seen these cause many problems.

Edited by lmdew

The ignition switch itself is a seperate device than the key lock mechanism. You just replace the switch portion of it.

Exactly. And I don't believe you need to drill any bolts to get the ignition switch out as imdew mentioned. That would be for the entire lock mechanism perhaps? But the ignition switch itself is really fairly easy to get to. Contact cleaner won't help, though...it's a sealed unit and is a good ways back from the key opening.

One other thing to check is the wear on your key. I dealt with this issue on wife's old car...was a combo of bad ignition switch and worn key. If you have a master key that you can make a better copy of that may help as well.