Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 OBW Failed smog with High HC

Title says it, 96 Outback wagon, 4EAT, 340K miles, took it to get smogged today and it failed at idle, with 158PPM (max is 100PPM). It has been so long since I have had any issues with smogging a car that I have forgotten how to bring down the HC number. Any clues?

Our '96 Legacy wagon failed at idle too (they had the gall to call it a "gross polluter" :) ). It was a single bad O2 sensor. I didn't replace it myself, so I don't know exactly what was involved, but it wasn't expensive. It passed with flying colors after that. BTW, our's is a young pup -- only 240k miles.

Edited by bendecker

The O2 sensors are both less than 50K miles old, genuine Subaru, both replaced at the same time, while I had the engine out to replace the T-belt and seals. Replaced the plugs at the same time, as well as the air filter. I have been getting P0420's since before I replaced the O2's and the PO was fond of using really cheap gas (also skimped on maintainance as well, but that is another thread. . .) I am suspecting that it is the cat, but I am really hoping not. I have not yet run seafoam through the top end, and may do that today. I was just hoping for another answer. . . *sigh*