Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello all , i dont know much about cars just have a question, is it ok to remove the gray box with the four screws off the maf and put it back. I thought that is how you clean the maf sensor, i did it and cleaned that gray box thing with the five solder bits and connected it all up again.car works fine but just wondering if the grey box should not be removed at all. 97 outback, car was stalling, mechanic said there were no codes and did nothing to figure it out, told him might be maf because that is what google told me and he told me people on line dont know spoob 

post-17461-0-07896000-1363174711_thumb.jpg

while my car's MAF is different, I just did the same thing, removed the maf from the intake, cleaned it with CRC MAF cleaner, let it dry for 30 minutes, re-installed it.

I don't think there's a better way. Probably a good thing to do each time the intake air filter is changed. eh, maybe every other time.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

You don't need to remove the grey connector. The part that needs cleaned is inside the intake tube. It's a black post about 2" long with a hole in the middle and some small wires and dohickies in the middle. Spray the dohickies off with MAF sensor cleaner and let dry. That's all you need to do.

Not a very good mechanic if he can't even TRY to figure out a stalling issue. Find a new mechanic, preferably one that has some Subarus in his lot to be worked on.

Thanks for the reply mate, would i have done any damage when i removed the grey connector or is it ok to pull it off ?

No more dangerous than any other connector. I pulled the connector so I could hold the sensor in/over a cardboard box in the garage. Just to keep the excess dripping cleaner and overspray contained.. Probably not necessary - could've taken a small box or even a rag over to the car and left it plugged in. I admit though, i have a habit of re-seating connectors when i encounter a new one or every few years, just to wipe and reconnect the pins after a brief glance inside for any signs of corrosion or melting.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan