Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front differential filler plug -- 98 Leg Outback

Where is the fill plug for the front differential on this machine? I've located the drain but can't find the fill. (And know by bitter experience not to drain the oil until you've determined you can get to and unscrew the fill !! Don't ask how I know this...!!)

Second Q: Will it be necessary to use a pump to get the new oil in or is a gear oil bottle with a "squirt" tip sufficient?

Thanks in advance.

doc

make sure to replace that O-ring on the dipstick when you do find it.  The oring shrinks and will allow gear oil to bubble out of there, dripping directly down onto the cat converter.  I swap out that O-ring any time I service a trans

• 1 month later...

We just bought an automatic '01 Forester S with 136k for $3k and there is a scrubbing scraping noise whenever rolling and only when you push gas. Recommended transmission shop with Subaru experience pinpointed the noise to the differential and suggested the bearing is bad. Don't know how far into it they got but the repair will cost $750, does all this sound on the level?

Edited by tojo

We just bought an automatic '01 Forester S with 136k for $3k and there is a scrubbing scraping noise whenever rolling and only when you push gas. Recommended transmission shop with Subaru experience pinpointed the noise to the differential and suggested the bearing is bad. Don't know how far into it they got but the repair will cost $750, does all this sound on the level?

No.  Your getting hosed.

I'd check wheel bearings first.  Or even possibly the brake rotor backing plate being a bit bent and touching the rotor. (possibly under load becuase of bad wheel bearing letting hub shift in knuckle.)

Subaru front diffs almost never have bearing failure.  Not in the side outputs.  Occasionally the pinion shaft bearing will go, but then you get gear whine, and shavings in the diff fluid.  This is ussually on turbo or 6cyl cars too, not NA 4cyl.

If you are really considering front diff work, drain and check the fluid first.  If the bearings in diff are the cause of the noise, there will be ALOT of shiny shavings in the diff oil.