Ultimate Subaru Message Board

alarm standard on OBW Limited?

I just bought a used 1999 Outback Wagon Limited. I didn't get a keyless remote with it, only a key.

When I lock the door, the horn beeps, but there is no blinking light on the dash like other cars I've owned.  Did this model come standard with at least some sort of an alarm system? If so, when it's activated, does it prevent the car from starting?

The car's pretty loaded (heated leather seats, dual sunroofs, etc.), so I would think the Limited model would come with some type of security system standard.

My insurance company is asking, saying I may be eligible for a premium reduction, which would be nice.

Thanks

I have both a 98 and 99 OBW. They are really pretty much the same car. The 98 OBW is the limited with key and fob. The fob controls the keyless remote and alarm system. On the left side of the steering wheel on the dash is a a blinking light, that when blinking indicates the alarm is activated.

My 99 has a fob, but is the standard model without the alarm system, so no blinking light on the dash. The fob simply locks and unlocks the doors. My fob was broken when I purchased as a used car, so don't know if the horn is used to indicate doors locked or unlocked.

It has been my understanding that the Limited model comes with the alarm system as standard equipment. The alarm system has it's own little speaker under the hood to make noise, when the alarm system is activated. It does not use the car's horn.

There is also a button under the dash that can be pushed to turn off the alarm system.

dessenne,

There are all kinds of sellers for the key fob you need, as well as the required programming notes to set it up with your car. Go on eBay and search for your year, make, and model. You'll find all kinds. Open several postings up and you'll see what the fob looks like, its model number, and if the seller provides the programming notes.

With some searching you'll get what you want for a lot less than the dealer wants. I've done this for my 04 OBW LTD (2 OBW's ago in my case), and recently for a 03 Ram pickup where a blank key from one seller and the remote with programming from another cost $38 total, including the shipping to my door. Some even have free shipping. Do a search and I think you'll get good results. Good Luck!

the4 brain for the remoter entry, is the same as trhe brain for the alarm.

the cars with the alarm have a ''horn'' under the hood and probably more wiring.

i think the 99 system is different than the 98 system, but i'm not sure.

link below for info on keyless entry / alarm systems.

you can buy a used remote that looks like the one for your car and it should work after you program it.

good luck.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/keyless.html

Thanks all for the advice. I'm thinking that I don't have an alarm, since there's no blinking red light like on my Nissan.

But the keyless would be nice, so I'll look for a replacement on the internet.

Kind of suprised that it doesn't seem to have an alarm considering the amount of other nice extras on the car.

The heated seats have been nice on these cold mornings!