Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help identify cylinder head on 87 GL 10

Hello All,

I have an 87 GL-10 wagon, non-turbo.  It was leaking oil and coolant in a pretty bad way and I've decided to rebuild the engine.

I've got the engine pulled and have removed both cylinder heads and had them pressure tested. The right side was good and I had it resurfaced.  The left head is cracked and the shop where I had it tested recommended not trying to repair it.  So I've been on the hunt for a replacement.  I found a remanufactured one listed on ebay which, according to the seller, came from a Loyale, but would fit my non-turbo engine.  The seller only had one picture posted, which was of the side to which the cam housing attaches.  I could see some small differences, but seemed to have all holes in the same places.  So I went ahead and bought it.  Upon receiving it a couple of days ago and comparing it to the one I'm replacing, I discovered that the replacement has a dual intake.  My original has a single intake.

post-47807-0-11138300-1365903171_thumb.jpg

The seller has already sent me a return UPS label to ship it back and will refund my purchase.

So, back to finding a raplacment.  I'm learning as I go on this, and up until now, the only questions I've been asked as I've been looking for parts are,  engine size (1800 cc) and turbo or non-turbo.  As I've been searching today, a couple of sites have asked more specific questions, which (please forgive my ignorance) I'm not sure about. How can I tell which of the following I have?

2-barrel carburetor

MFI

TBI

Based on the =FI= on top of the intake manifold, I'm thinking MFI. But just want to make sure...

Thanks in advance.

Nope, you're looking for SPFI (single point or "throttle body" injection) heads. If you pop off the air intake hose and look down, you should see a round pod, and it contains an injector.

The EA82 (SOHC) will have have these. 88-94 Loyale, GL or GL-10 (rare in the GL-10s) will work as long as it has the SPFI injection.

The heads are more or less reversible, but you need one that has a thread tapped for the...I want to say coolant return line? Under the EGR valve there is a 17mm nut (not attached to the EGR or intake manifold, it's just in that general area) that does something with coolant, I think it connects the water jacket in the manifold with the engine block water jacket? I'd have to pull it apart again to check.

Just keep that in mind in addition to the MPFI vs SPFI motor thing. And don't feel bad. I ordered an entire motor once, and got MPFI instead of SPFI, the shop sent me a refund check that bounced. That sucked and took forever to resolve. These are fairly basic engines, but aren't without a learning curve.

Ask lots of questions, and use the search button (upper right on your screen) and you'll get more answers than you can shake a stick at.

Edited by man on the moon

Let's take 2 steps back: Where did the shop say the crack was?  Non-turbo heads rarely crack.

A common "crack" that shops winge about is between the 2 valve seats in the combustion chamber.  It is NORMAL for it to have a crack there.  As long as it is not too deep, it is ignored.

Nope, you're looking for SPFI (single point or "throttle body" injection) heads..

To amplify this, the "TBI" in the ads that you are looking at is Throttle-Body Injection (TBI), which is the industry-standard name for what we usually call Single-Point Fuel Injection (SPFI).

You should look for the TBI heads.

The heads are more or less reversible, but you need one that has a thread tapped for the...I want to say coolant return line? Under the EGR valve there is a 17mm nut (not attached to the EGR or intake manifold, it's just in that general area) that does something with coolant, I think it connects the water jacket in the manifold with the engine block water jacket? I'd have to pull it apart again to check.

You are calling it a bolt.....it's a tube.  It connects the exhaust passge of the #3 cylinder to the intake and EGR vavle.  It is not for coolant.  It is indeed for exhaust gasses.

And if you put a passenger side head on the drivers side, you need to plug it or you'll have a very loud car.

If you use a drivers side head on the passenger side, you need to drill and tap that hole for EGR tube.

He can use any EA82 non-turbo heads from 85-94.  Carbed or SPFI (tbi) doesn''t matter.

THAT SAID..............again, where are the cracks?  if they are between the vavle seats there is nothing wrong with that. 

The cracks to worry about are the ones in the exhaust port.  Very rarely does that happen to non-turbo heads.

He can use any single port heads from 85-94...

How About those Single Port, but MPFi Heads?

... I discovered that the replacement has a dual intake.  My original has a single intake.

attachicon.gif20130410_165953.jpg...

OCDan, Very Kindly, Please let me Ask you a especial Favor:

Could you Post a Photo of Both Heads Together Again, but from the Under Side, Where Reads EA82?

I Really want to See if the EA82 is Underlined, Alone or Surrounded by a Square...

That will Explain the Casting on the Gen III Heads for the EA82.

Kind Regards.

How About those Single Port, but MPFi Heads?

OCDan, Very Kindly, Please let me Ask you a especial Favor:

Could you Post a Photo of Both Heads Together Again, but from the Under Side, Where Reads EA82?

I Really want to See if the EA82 is Underlined, Alone or Surrounded by a Square...

That will Explain the Casting on the Gen III Heads for the EA82.

Kind Regards.

Here you go. Underlined on both.

post-47807-0-67730600-1366041044_thumb.jpg

By the way, I plan to send the remanufactured head back in the next day or two.  I paid what seemed to be a good price of $125 plus $21 shipping.  The seller told me that it is part of a lot they had acquired in a bankruptcy sale and this is why the price was so low.  If anyone is interested in it, let me know.

• Like 1

Let's take 2 steps back: Where did the shop say the crack was?  Non-turbo heads rarely crack.

A common "crack" that shops winge about is between the 2 valve seats in the combustion chamber.  It is NORMAL for it to have a crack there.  As long as it is not too deep, it is ignored.

Yes, both heads have visible cracks between the ports. The guy at the shop agreed that these were not a problem.  The pressure test revealed a crack elsewhere on the left head.  He said that he could attempt to repair it but it would most likely end up costing more than it was worth.

He can use any single port heads from 85-94.

And to the OP.

If you really need a head, i've got many of them.  Happy to sell you one cheap.....PM me.

Most definitely. I PM'ed you yesterday with my contact info.  Thanks!

Most definitely. I PM'ed you yesterday with my contact info.  Thanks!

Gloyale, I've been trying to contact you by PM.  According to the status on the messages, they haven't been read by you yet.  In the messages, you'll find contact information.  I'm still in need of a replacement cylinder head and would appreciate hearing from you if you are still willing to sell me one.

Thank you.

Gloyale, I got your reply to my one of my PM's and replied to it, agreeing to your asking price on the cylinder head.  It looks like that reply didn't reach you.  If you see this post, please contact me ASAP.  My brother who lives in Salem has a business appointment in Corvalis tomorrow morning at 10:00 AM.  Prior to that appointment (9:30 ish), he would be able to hook up with you, pay you for and pick up the part, if that works for you.

Not sure what's up with the PM system or if others are experiencing similar problems.  Of four PM's I've sent you, you've only received 1.

Edited by OCDan