Ultimate Subaru Message Board

dual E-brake setup questions

I searched and didnt find many results.... None to be exact.  I know a few guys who have done it, but without having to read through 100 pages of threads I figured I'd just ask.

I wanted to do a welded rear diff but for a daily driver I figure dual ebrake would be more justifiable.  I got new cables off a 01 forester, extra e-brake handle.  Mounting the handles doesnt look like an issue its just rigging each cable up indiviually thats getting me.   The one thing stumping me right how to rig up the cables to each handle.   Have people been using using to rig them up?   Cable clamps to tie the two together?   

I thought about spinning the twin cable setup sideways and using the ends where the two cables were tied into one, but I think its going to lengthen the cable pull too much for it to work.

Sorry bout rambling through this, if I could draw a picture it'd help lol

I haven't seen a dual cable setup, but I would think you'd just need to extend the existing cables for each side to each brake handle.  Using either cable clamps or something to attach the cables.

You can see in this pic, there are two separate cables....and you could either have a bracket that attaches to the existing end and then just use another cable (or the same cable to go to each e-brake handle.

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subaru/images/manualseatbelts/05/IMG_1127.JPG

yah I might be able to cut one side off each cable bracket and roll that way, I just wonder if theres that much adjustment in the handle to take up that extra slack.. Guess I'm just gonna have to go for it and see what happens.  Could always rig cables with loops to them both and hand then to the passenger and just yell "Pull Left or Pull Right" LOL

Get your self some steel strap about an 1 1/2 wide drill two holes for the cable ends and run them past each other so the cable is shorter.  Plenty of extra adjustment then. Bolt the two straps together.

------------O

O---------------

So, the OE setup has the flat piece with a hole on each side for the cables, and the pull in the center.  IS this how your setup is?

If so, this is what I did.  Start with the handle that's already installed.  Remove the left side cable from the flat piece.  Now drill a hole thought the floor, and put a bolt though the hole the left cable was in.  Now that flat piece makes a pivot point for pulling more cable.  To make it a better pivot, I used a M8 bolt, about 2" long, with a non threaded section at the top.  I put a nut below the falt piece, and then a nut on the bottom to tighten, but the top part of the bolt sticks up about 1" worth off no thread for the flat piece to pivot.

Repeat on the other side after mounting second handle.

• Like 1