Ultimate Subaru Message Board

In my infinite wisdom I was attempting to tighten my drive belts but I was tightening the wrong bolt and the guide that it was in snapped... Have no idea what it is for. I have a 1999 legacy with the 2.2 and the bolt itself is pretty long a couple inches. In this picture 

it is next to the AC condenser (to the left and below it). You can see the bolt next to the 2 other bolts there. At the bottom it snapped the guide that it was sitting in. What in the world did I break??

03251858b.jpg?t=1270527174

You broke the adjuster.

I thought that part was steel, maybe its aluminum I dunno. Either way, I'm surprised the bolt didnt break first.

To properly adjust the belt you need to first loosen the lock nut on the adjuster, then turn the adjustment bolt.

Grab one from a junkyard. Just unbolt the whole thing (the two 12mm bolts at the top) its not worth trying to take apart.

In the meantime, don't loosen the adjuster lock nut. If you do you'll be in for way more fun trying to adjust the belt. It's still doable by trial and error, but time consuming and aggravating.