Ultimate Subaru Message Board

looks like spec is offering a performance ea82/er27 clutch lineup...

bluto5

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Subaru/XT/1989/Single

I havent called to verify this yet but it looks to be a nice new (to me at least) option. I would prefer act or some other but ill take what i can get at this point.

I have had both good and bad experience with spec. Put one in my brothers 240sx,a 6 puck sprung i think.  Felt very good and held great under some abuse but a few of the clutch finger retainers snapped after a short(ish) time casuing the clutch to not work right. 

Sam

Edited by bluto5

Just out of curiosity, what exactly type of differences would you expect/feel between those different clutches?

I mean..it's not like the ea82 has enough power to make a fully engaged clutch of any type slip...is it longevity?

Just out of curiosity, what exactly type of differences would you expect/feel between those different clutches?

I mean..it's not like the ea82 has enough power to make a fully engaged clutch of any type slip...is it longevity?

People on here would be interested in them for EJ swaps.

That's what it is then, though? Grip? Less slippage?

Yep. With the extra power of the EJ connected to the stock EA tranny, you are stuck with a small cutch, so one that won't slip under load, is a good thing. Most people are completely fine with the XT6 kit though.

• Like 1

spec has been offering those long before the EJ swap was common. 

I'm assuming someone built (or was building) some crazy EA82t, and ponied up the cash for the R&D for spec to develop those.

Don't think I've ever heard of anyone buying one though.

Actually all of my EA82T engines have had a problems with slipping clutch after some modification.Since the engines here comes with 136bhp (same as EJ22) from the factory it's a bit different story how the oem clutch holds up. Basicly after swapping a bigger turbo and an intercooler to my engine the clutch starts to slip.