Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT6 Transmission issues

Every once in awhile, my trusty XT6 pitches a subie fit. When i start it, the trans defaults to "limp home" mode. (center diff locked, trans in 3rd) There is no power light on the dash, or any other telltale. Im thinking its a heat related issue, because it started this last summer, then didnt do it all winter. Now that its getting hot out, its getting worse.

My questions are: Has anyone else had this problem with thier early 4eat, and am I gonna have to replace my TCU before it strands me.

The power light works but doesn't blink even when in limp mode?
Is it possible to go into limp home without a trouble code?  I would think so only with a mechanical failure...just a guess.

Standard questions:

1. fluid level is good

2. no bubbles in ATF when this happens

3. trans pan isn't dented?

4.  no check engine codes?

Have any critters lived in this car (chewing wires)?

I wonder if maybe a ground issue...causing the TCU to simply be "turned off"

If not I'm suspect of mechanical issue, pure speculation based on nothing at this point though.

Edited by grossgary

I

Power light flashes after a reboot

don't know what you mean by reboot- after restarting - be nice to get that code though or check if it's got one.  if it's flashing 16 times on start up that means there's a code somewhere - i'd get it.  that's going to tell you a lot unless you're unlucky.