Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hartless, thanks for the response.  What have they rebuilt for you and how many mile do you have on it. 

I have used them before once no problem, with the second engine not as good.

Who else have people used a few times with consistent results?  

I personally have not used them (cant afford to), but many here have. They are also a member here - do a search and you will see.

Not sure where you are located, but there are several other board members that work on/rebuild motors for others as well.

if you ask around you may have a competent machine shop you can work with locally.  i wouldn't where i live now but in MD where i used to live i know i could find a great machine shop that would work with me, do excellent work, and be willing to take into consideration any specific requests I had (based on significant experience personally/via input from the boards like this).

have you looked into simply buying new shortblocks from Subaru?  newer ones are $2,000 or a little more, if there are still old ones around maybe that's an option, heads are easily rebuilt by any machine shop and also easy to find shops with significant subaru/aluminum head experience.