Ultimate Subaru Message Board

05 Forester 2.5X oil on spark plug boots

My 05 NA Forester started bucking at acceleration a couple days ago and we discovered that it was down about a quart of oil.  Today it threw a CEL which read as a misfire on cylinder 3.  I went to pull the spark plugs as soon as I got home and discovered oil on the boots of all four.  I'm hoping that it's just valve cover and spark plug gaskets, but it's too late and dark to do a compression check at this point.

I need to get to work tomorrow, what is the likelyhood that it's safe to drive it for a few days until I can replace the valve covers?

Thanks

Tom

compression test is a waste of time, simply replace the valve cover gaskets and spark plug tube gaskets and valve cover grommets. the spark plug tube gaskets suck and commonly leak.  Fel Pro kits i think come with all of those, i recently bought two sets and think that's the case.

clean up all mating surfaces well, don't over torque, and get a light coat of oil on the mating surfaces of the gaskets.

it's safe to drive so long as the cylinder misfires don't go bonkers and you get a flashing CEL - that is multiple cylinder misfire and risks damaging your converter...and they often don't drive well either in that state.

if you cleaned it up while you had it apart chances are you mitigated it some?