Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Intermittent hard start/lack of power 98 Legacy

Today my 98 Legacy twice had long cranking before starting, then had almost no power, as if it was on one or two cylinders.  Once I could stomp the throttle, the problem seemed to clear. The rest of the day's starts were OK.  I haven't checked codes but the CEL was never on. 

Your input is welcomed-thanks.

Man I am having the same problem. It happens every other day or so. If I don't floor the gas the car won't start and once it does it takes about 20 seconds or so of driving before it gets its power back. Only MIL code is for a low signal at temp switch. Mine is a 99 obw with 2.2

Man I am having the same problem. It happens every other day or so. If I don't floor the gas the car won't start and once it does it takes about 20 seconds or so of driving before it gets its power back. Only MIL code is for a low signal at temp switch. Mine is a 99 obw with 2.2

Your issue sounds like the coolant temp sensor may be going out.  They are around $20-$25 from one of the online subaru dealers.  I'd probably suggest starting with that.