Ultimate Subaru Message Board

front axle issue

I have an 88 wagon, and thought I had a bad bearing, but as it turns out it was only the cone washer. So anyway, as I was putting the axle back in (yeah I had disassembled it all) I found that I could not get the roll pin all the way in. I stopped tapping with the hammer when I had clear resistance, didn't want it completely fubar'd, but am not sure what happened to get to this point. Though it does make me wonder if it's a crucial piece, given that I had to disconnect the lower arm and loosen the strut bolts to get the space to pop the axle out in the first place.

Eric

Rotate it 180 degrees... The Axle only goes on one way... if you tap it in and about 1/2-3/4 of the way it wont go anymore, its because its not lined up properly

Youll wanna take your roll pin driver or drill bit or w/e youre using and tap it back out, pull the axle off, and turn it until the holes line up again, THEN stick it back on and the roll pin should go back in a lot easier... I usually use a drill bit that will clear with very little resistance or I mark the axle, either way works.

Edited by 92_rugby_subie

also the axle pin is supposed to go in one way, so make sure your attempting to put it in the right hole.  should be slightly bigger and beveled.  find someting with a very slightly smaller diameter (such as a punch) and slip it through the hole all the way to make sure its lined up before you start with the hammer.