Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 GL-10 Tempeture Reading

Don't know where to put this but here it goes, I got a Black GL-10 Wagon we in the repairing it's small details but there aren't much people in my country who works Subarus like this classic, I want to knwo how does this car reads it Tempeture becouse it show sometimes and sometimes it does not, and now It might have an electrical short everytime I tune signal light to the right the car lights shut down very weird then it goes back once it change the signal light btw it has burned up 3 AC Relay output.

I believe that the thermostat for the dash, in on top of the engine, about 10 inches behind the thermostat housing. The connection goes into the top of that thermostat, and it gets corroded that compromises the contact.

You should probably replace all switches that are behaving erratically. In order to replace the turn signal switch, you have to pull the steering wheel.

Along with checking the temperature sensor lead connection you may have a problem with the gauge display. I assume you have the digital dash option and if so they had some solder connection problems with the temperature gauge display circuit and that may be causing your trouble.

If the right side turn signals work then the trouble is most likely due to a bad ground for those lights. If the lights aren't working then perhaps there is nearly a short on the line for that side.

Those models tend to have head gasket issues along with some other common problems but they are good cars.

I can decribe to you what to look for with hoses

1. skinny 1/4" hose under the intake coming from the thermostat housing to the top of the engine block.

2. 5/8"coolant hose from the turbo to the thermostat housing.

3. 5/8" coolant hose from the turbo to the metal water pipe on the back of the head

4. 5/8" heater core hoses from the back of the engine.

5. 5/8" elbow hose from the water pump the the metal pipe that supplies the heater hose

6. OIL drain hose from the bottom of the turbo to a nipple on the back of the head. 

there will be some odd skinny hoses around the throttle body. And of course the vacuum hoses. There should be an emissions diagram under the hood. Use metric vac hoses.