Ultimate Subaru Message Board

to swap or not to swap, that is the question..

so coming home from work in the ole 84' 4wd auto wagon the other night and it started rattling..  i first thoguht lifters, cause when revved a little it would quit..  i parked it till tonight..  after a closer inspection i'm pretty sure its a cracked flexplate..

i know finding a flexplate for a 84 auto will be like finding a needle in a haystack...  

i know how to swap it to a 4-speed, and this would be the cheapest/easiest/fastest way to go, but lets face it the 4-speeds weren't great.

with a little more money i could just go 5-speed, which isn't a while lot more work and would be worth the time and $$

the other thoguht i am kicking around is a complete 2.2l swap with a 5-speed awd trans, beings a parts car legacy can be had for a few hundred now days, this is super tempting to try.. 

i know folks will say use a d/r trans, but this car is not a wheeler and won't be, it never leaves the pavement.. so d/r trans would be pointless.

so has anyone done a full 2.2l awd swap to a 2nd gen?     post-140-0-78691100-1376179599_thumb.jpg

Edited by Meeky Moose

The only two I know of is Pooparu and Jacob... forgot the board name off hand but has a brat that gets used for rally-x.  General disorder had a huge hand in making the brat happen and Pooparu is a perfectionist and a diy fab guy Do a little search and find a post from him and can see most of what he has done on cardomain.

The only two I know of is Pooparu and Jacob... forgot the board name off hand but has a brat that gets used for rally-x.  General disorder had a huge hand in making the brat happen and Pooparu is a perfectionist and a diy fab guy Do a little search and find a post from him and can see most of what he has done on cardomain.

renob123 has the rallybrat..speaking of which, where have those two been lately?

2.2 for sure.

Trans?

Either full AWD EJ box  (good for DD, no burnouts in rain. but can leave you stuck with one wheel in deep snow)

OR

PT4wd single range guts and transfer, stuffed into EJ front case halves w/EJ flywheel...no adapter (true 4wd great in snow!, FWD burnouts in the rain :(   )

OR 

FT4wd w/diff lock guts and transfer into EJ front case halves w/EJ flywheel...no adapter. (Best of both worlds)

• Like 1

so it looks like i don't have to swap anything..  the 3rd new starter is bad,  the drive is not pulling back far enough to clear the teeth on the torque converter, thus making the rattle noise..   i shimmed it with 2 washers for now, problem is fixed..   going to order another one when i get to work tomorrow and warranty it out again...  if you only knew what i have gone through with starters on this car it would boggle your mind... 

swap postponed... 

so it looks like i don't have to swap anything..  the 3rd new starter is bad,  the drive is not pulling back far enough to clear the teeth on the torque converter, thus making the rattle noise..   i shimmed it with 2 washers for now, problem is fixed..   going to order another one when i get to work tomorrow and warranty it out again...  if you only knew what i have gone through with starters on this car it would boggle your mind... 

swap postponed... 

Check your torque converter bolts quick

Sometimes when installing the TC bolts, the TC will be slid a bit too far into the trans.  This hangs up the teeth on the starter gear and is hard to spin to get around to all the bolts.  Snuggin them pulls it up tight, away from teh starter teeth

I'd at least check them to make sure they aren't loose and the TC walked closer to the starter.

• Like 1

Check your torque converter bolts quick

Sometimes when installing the TC bolts, the TC will be slid a bit too far into the trans.  This hangs up the teeth on the starter gear and is hard to spin to get around to all the bolts.  Snuggin them pulls it up tight, away from teh starter teeth

I'd at least check them to make sure they aren't loose and the TC walked closer to the starter.

while i had the starter off, i had my wife turn the motor by hand, stopping every so often when i felt a bolt from the starter hole,  everything was tight... 

this thing is all original to my knowledge,  a little old couple owned it from new, it was super babied and well taken care of.. don't think its ever been apart..

Edited by Meeky Moose