Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anybody have trouble with recent OEM Thermostats?

'Cause I have.

Nearly cost me a motor.  My fresh high compression EA81....   :wacko:

It seems as though I got a faulty one.  This one has less than 4k miles on it.  The car has always seemed to run on the warm side, but until today I have never been able to confirm it with an actual gauge.  On the digidash temp gauge on the highway it was reading 6 bars.  8 bars is in the red.  So it was not overheating, but it was running warm.  According to my real gauge, it was running 225-230 on the flats.

Some photos.... I pulled it for a boiling pot test.

Peak temp was just about 205 degrees F  (96 degrees C)

Both T-stats are rated at 190 degrees F  (88 degrees C)

tstat01.jpg

here is the el-cheapo STANT t-stat.

It opened a full 3/8"

Once removed from the pot it quickly started closing, but I was able to nab some decent pics as it was closing.

tstat02.jpg

tstat03.jpg

And the low mileage OEM T-stat

Opened BARELY enough to allow flow. Less than 1/16" of movement.

tstat04.jpg

By the time I got it set on the counter, it was already nearly closed back up...

tstat05.jpg

So Im running the el-cheapo $5 Stant for now.  The car is running below the half way mark now, cruising at 205 degrees on the flats.  MUCH better.  

This is even in 95 degree weather.  But Im willing to bet the decreased flow with prove a problem on long uphill grades.

I called my local dealer and he told me that there are only THREE OEM T-stats showing in their nation wide network???

Can this be true??  If so, has anyone found a decent alternative that is similar to OEM?

Try an Altrom (official brand is Tama, Japanese made) from Napa. I just picked up one for $15 (ok less, but that's our retail on it :P ) for the XT turbo and it spec's the same. Part number is 154-0702.

Works great so far, opened way better than my original 162k thermostat that was trying to kill my motor...

Twitch

Edited by Twitch de la Brat

Well, Id like to stick to OEM if I can.  So I ordered a couple, we shall see if my dealer can get their hands on some.

In the mean time, I pulled the el-cheapo out due to insufficient flow when running hard.  And I went to work on the old OEM unit.

I decided to test the actual full-open temp.  So it went into the toasted oven and got baked.  I think the thing was just calibrated wrong.  It opened fully, but not until about 300 degrees!!

So I modified it.  A combination of shimming the stainless rod and chopping off about 1.5 coils off of the spring, the t-stat starts to open at about 185 and is fully open at about 200.  It still shuts all the way too.

Worth a thousand more words...

tstat06.jpg