Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Okay this is strange one, my mom has this 91 legacy (2.2 auto) and the speedometer went out. It works up to about 20 mph and then drops off, the check engine lights will come on and comes up with a code 33 vehical speed sensor code. The speedometer is cable driven on this year (yes I visually checked this) and I assume that the VSS and the speedo going out are connected since they happened at the same time. What I don't get is I thought the cars with a cable driven speedo didn't have a VSS and even if they did I didn't think it would affect the speedo.

I would appreciate some insight on this, I'm going to try and look this up on identifix tomorrow at work and see what I come up with, but I would still like to get a thread going.

VSS is in the speedo head. So when the cable broke/gear stripped/whatever went wrong and the speedometer stopped working, the vss stopped sending a signal to the computer, so that's what sets the code.

Hopefully just the cable is broken, because if the gear stripped inside the transmission it requires a complete dissasembly to replace.

im going to start with the cable, but i think that the speedo head is toast since it was working a little. the speedo doesnt work at all now

i really doubt the speedo gear is stripped in the trans, thats really uncommon

Edited by mikaleda

have a 90 gauge cluster You can have for shipping has 224k miles on it, from an auto. hopfull y just the cable. good luck

nice, thank you. i may do that if the cable doesnt fix the problem, ill find out tomorow, hopefully.

not quite sure when ill get to this car since my step dads plow truck just lost the rear end and thats more of a priority than my mom having a speedomiter

nice, thank you. i may do that if the cable doesnt fix the problem, ill find out tomorow, hopefully.

not quite sure when ill get to this car since my step dads plow truck just lost the rear end and thats more of a priority than my mom having a speedomiter

Also have a speedo cable i could yank out of a donor car, if it would help. 

which picture shows the VSS.

The round silver & copper thing is the reed switch, which is the VSS. 

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/subaru/images/combmeter/images/IMG_5856.JPG

I honestly don't remember if you can replace just the rear section with the reed switch or if you have to replace the entire speedometer section....or just the entire gauge cluster.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the base piece that the speedo cable connects to for the automatic transmissions is a common failure point.  the shaft inside that piece breaks.  It's pretty inexpensive to get a new one, and easy to change.

Here's a pic of the base piece.  There is a bottom washer and rubber piece that sometimes gets stuck in the hole, so you need to make sure and dig that out when removing the old pieces.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/subaru/images/speedocablebase.jpg

The other thing to keep in mind is that the base piece that the speedo cable connects to for the automatic transmissions is a common failure point.  the shaft inside that piece breaks.  It's pretty inexpensive to get a new one, and easy to change.

Here's a pic of the base piece.  There is a bottom washer and rubber piece that sometimes gets stuck in the hole, so you need to make sure and dig that out when removing the old pieces.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/subaru/images/speedocablebase.jpg

Nice that was the problem, I pulled it and found that where the cable goes in was striped, I'm jb welding it together now for a temporary fix then ill try and get a new one

• 2 weeks later...