Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 Legacy Outback transmission swap,new trans just showed up

what parts are you going to swap over?

make sure the torque converter is FULLY seated, before you install it.

failure to do so will destroy the oil pump in the trans $$$.

search ''torqueconverter'' and read the oldest first posted by me.

what are the trans ID numbers on the bell housing at the starter?

are they the same?

they start with TZxxxxxxxx and have 10 characters.

what year, model, engine, trans, miles are we talking about?

Edited by johnceggleston

Being installed in a 1997 Legacy Outback 2.5L.The numbers match TZ102Z2CBA-DT,there are a few items to swap like the cross member and  a piece of wiring section. I have installed a few auto trans and am aware of the issues involved with the torque converter.  the donor trans has 200K miles,my car about the same,my concern is should i remove the pan and install new filters?

The internal filter is really not a filter it's a screen.  You most likely do not have the external filter, its available from Subaru.  It mounts to the frame rail and you tap into the rubber hoses.

Don't bother dropping the pan, in fact most times it causes a leak. Only drop it if it's leaking to reseal it.

torque converter seal not a bad idea while it's there, easy access.  they rarely leak though, i've never seen it happen truth be told so that's why it's not a big deal.

the side seals don't replace until they leak, they leak very slowly and are easily replaced in the vehicle.  their retaining rings also set bearing preload nad backlash on the front diff, so have to be very careful removing installing.