Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Urgent! Emergency! Buying new OUtback today ! Help!

not sure on the A/C outlet but it may have a USB charger. If not it will have a regular accessory outlet you can plug a charger into

thanks, what I am hearing is their usb port wont work with iphone, insane but true...if no ac outlet then i need to do the old fashioned way as you say, i always heard that way of charging was bad for the battery

Right. The line voltage for a phone charger is about 5V DC current ( you could find the right pins on the Iphone plug and measure both for verification ). Plugged into the wall or a car charger.. It won't hurt a thing.

finding out likely it ONLY has 12 v adapter and ONLY in cargo area, would have to run wire up to front cabin, ridiculous, probably deal killer for me, i have not bought it yet, i did give them a $500 dep as it is a dealer trade, i better be able to get that back

Edited by Libertas

There is a 12v socket in the console under the radio. Get a $5 12v socket USB charger and plug your iPhone cable into it. Lots of auto parts stores sell them, radio shack, Walmart, target, take your pic.

cool, i will get car later today, salesman just texted me that there are 4 places to charge my phone and 3 of them are in front cabin, i will believe it when i see it, one will be nice...one of the reasons I started this was someone somewhere said that the IPHONE ONLY could not be CHARGED with the usb port,  if they have the ac outlet like my current car does then no problem, we will see

Edited by Libertas

your buying an outback and your main problem is charging an IPHONE!!!!!!??????!?!?!?!?!

answer to all your problems!

get into new outback 

start driving on free way

throw iphone out window

drive until Jeremy Clarkson says to stop, probably never.......

PROBLEM SOLVED!

who needs iphones subarus are way better!

Disclaimer: no iphones were harmed in the making of this joke

cool, i will get car later today, salesman just texted me that there are 4 places to charge my phone and 3 of them are in front cabin, i will believe it when i see it, one will be nice...one of the reasons I started this was someone somewhere said that the IPHONE ONLY could not be CHARGED with the usb port, if they have the ac outlet like my current car does then no problem, we will see

Sounds like hogwash to me. USB is standardized. Anything that has a USB plug has to have certain characteristics. Whether its an iPhone or a thumb drive they all use the same pinout. Perhaps it doesn't deliver enough current to charge an iPad, but an iPhone only needs 0.5A current, and any recently designed USB port will deliver at least 1A. The newer ones are up to 2A.

• Like 1

I have a MY13 Legacy Ltd and I charge my iPhone from a USB in the console, listen to music from it on the stereo and use the bluetooth for handsfree fuction.

If you have the apperance package and NAV/Eyesight you should have those fuctions and a USB in your console especially of your talking about a MY14.

My mother-in-law's MY11 Outback has the USB inside the console and a 110 Outlet located on the back of the console as an option, but the new models now have AC vents there so it is no longer an option.

I just wish salepoeple took the time, (since they just seem sit around a lot when slow) to learn what can and can't be done and what's available on each of the models. If I'm looking for answers to questions I would expect them to be "experts" in knowlege. When I bought my 2013 I was more knowlegeable than the 2 salepeople I was talking with (but we here on the board may be exceptions).

I just feel bad for those consumers not knowing that sometime the things salepoeple say may not be even near the truth.

Edited by Suzam