Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 Forester transmission swap

I have a 1998 Forester, bought two years back with a bad transmission (Reverse went out) i had bought a used transmission from a 2001 Forester but come to find out it wasnt compatible, i found a transmission from a salvage yard but it looked different was supposed to have come from an 98 forester but i had a incling it was a 1999 transmission as it had an oil filter on the side. but from what i researched it should work, but my mechanic ran into a snafu doesnt match up with the torque converter and it doesnt have a sensor connecter at the top where the original one did. now i put an add on craigslist and this fella with a 96 legacy says this is the transmission i need. someone please tell me if any of this will work? 

original car(that needs the transmission replaced) 1998 Subaru Forester engine EJ25DAX1JB transmission TZ1032J1AA

slavaged trans:supposedly from a 98 Forester has 886668 on the housing with transcode TZ1A32C2AA-P8

96 Legacy with 147119 on the housing and transtype TZ102ZZCBA engine type EJ25DAXCJL

i also have vin #'s available from stamps on the side of the transmission

TZ1032J1AA

TZ1A32C2AA

TZ102ZZCBA

none of these numbers is correct

double check them.

in the first 2, i think the FIRST ''2'' should be a ''Z''.

but double check the actual numbers to make sure the rest of the letters/ number are right.

they both look wrong, but one could be a JDM import, maybe.

in the last one, the THIRD ''Z'' should be a ''2''. (TZ102Z2CBA)

that would make it an auto trans from a 96 outback.

if this is so, then it is a match for a 98 forester auto trans.

Edited by johnceggleston

96 Legacy

96 Legacy brighton, L, LS are 4.11 final drive ratios.  they will bolt up and work but the rear differential will also have to be swapped to 4.11 to match.

96 Legacy GT, LSi and Outback are 4.44 and will match the forester

I can't think of a reason why the 96 won't work in the 98.  the fact that the later trans doesn't work almost guarantees the 96 will work since Subaru didn't make that many changes.  once around 95 and once around 99...very roughly.

you can check ebay and car-part.com for interchange info.  it's more restrictive...meaning you have more options than what they'll have listed, but if you fall in the scope of their interchange info you'll certainly be okay.

AT interchangability is tricky.

upon further research,

TZ1032J1AA  - should read TZ103ZJ1AA = 98 forester auto trans w/ 4.44 final drive ratio

TZ1A32C2AA  - should read TZ1A3ZC2AA = 99 and up, forester auto trans w/ 4.44 final drive ratio,

this not compatible with the 98 forester.

hey john, what is your take on the 96 legacy trans?

• 2 weeks later...