Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear Strut springs question

Hey all,

According to some of the posts that I've read, I guess I should be replacing the springs as well as the struts in this 1995 Legacy.

I bought the struts earlier this year, but have not installed them yet. The main reason was to help lift the rear end of this car up. I'm reading that

in order to do that, you must replace the springs too.

However when I look up the springs in Rock Auto, it lists a bunch of odd descriptions like, Legacy II, MKII, (BD and BG).

What does all this stuff mean?  Will these springs still fit a regular Legacy sedan?

And by the way, how the heck do you get to the top of the strut mount?  Is it hiding under the plastic somewhere?

Thanks, Toni.

Did you by Outback or Forester Struts?

If so the majority of the lift comes from the longer bottom section under the spring seat.

I have good rust free springs, I can send you.

Sedan the top mount bolts are behind the back of the rear seat

Wagon, pull the top plastic cover just behind the rear seat.  

for sedan you will need to remove the entire back seat to get to the strut top mount - and I hope you have some offset wrenches...not a lot of space in there....

to remove the back seat, there are 2 bolts just below the front of the bottom seat cushion (the part you butt sits on), remove those and lift up and out on it to remove...

for the seat back, I believe there are 3 bolts - one at either end & one in the middle along the bottom edge, unbolt those and kind of lift up and out to remove.

once the seat is out, you will see the two small recesses that the strut tops are located in.

Those are European models. Rockauto currently only lists springs for this car in their European warehouses. So their listings are for european models. They'll also charge you a boatload for international shipping to get them across the pond.

From what I can tell the only good source for new springs in the U.S. is a Subaru dealer. You can order from an online dealer and save about $40 over retail cost.

Otherwise try to find some good used ones.

Thanks for you quick replies.

Imdew, not sure what these are, I got them from Rock Auto. This car is a 1995 Legacy 4wd sedan. How much and what are the condition of these springs that you have?  I'd be concerned about the $$$$'s for shipping too, as they would be fairly heavy.

heartlesss, thanks for that info. I took a look around and it seemed to evade me.  Yes I do have some offset wrenches at my disposal.

Fairtax4me, I didn't realize that these were for European models, that kind of makes sense. I'll check my local Subaru dealer and also online too.

I'm a little surprised that the struts don't have the springs as a unit from Rock Auto like some others that I've purchased in the past.

Toni.

Springs are fairly cheap to ship. I shipped 4 to someone in either Alabama or Colorado (don't remember exactly) just coiled them all together and stuffed them into a box just barely large enough for them to fit (6x6x15 IIRC), and it was like $11 ground shipping. Pretty sure they would fit into a Priority Flat rate box for $16.

For that matter you don't even have to box them. Coil them up, zip tie them together, and wrap them in cellophane.