Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tire recommendations for 2003 Outback LLBean Edition (6 cyl)

I am replacing tires (second time) for my 2003 Outback that only has about 75+K miles.  Any recommendations on best combination of handling/wear/price?  I can get Michelin Primacy MXV4 at Costco at a discount if I wait another 6 weeks.  I've been reading reviews all over the place and no tire seems to be unquestionably superior to all reviewers.  I do mostly city driving with some highway and want good handling and traction, but I live in the South so snow and ice are only occasional conditions.  Wet weather is big, though, as we have torrential rains.

Just remember the higher the miliage tire means less handling(harder tire), lower means better handling(softer tire). A 55,000 to 60,000 mile tire will give you the best of both worlds generally. A good set of snow tires make a world of differrence in the winter times, but since you really don't get any i wouldnt worry about getting them.  I would not touch a tire over 70,000 mile tire for wet conditions like where I live in the NW all they do is spin in wet conditions even in awd starting on a hill with easy throttle.

i'd look at wet traction reviews and go from there.

what he just said is true - characteristics are determined by rubber compounds. a tire that lasts 70,000 miles isn't going to have good traction. it'll wear great, but not have the traction of softer tires (which wear more).  extrapolate that to all characteristics...feel, performance, wet, snow, noise, wear.  like me...it sounds like you'd lean towards wet weather performance.  i run snow tires so my next concern is high speed wet road performance.

i would guess most people (like 75+% of people i know) just install a tire and never think about it again. their reviews will vary if they opt for a cheap tire and expect worlds of performance in high speed wet, snow, etc...which i'd guess is common.

Michellins are awesome, i'm a big fan of them. i see Michellin as the one company that if you buy a tire it'll be decent.  other companies have great tires, and some bad ones. but, i almost never buy Michellin because they are pricey and i run snow tires so i don't have a need for stellar all-season/all-purpose tires.

if you have an honest tire company/person that will talk *to you* and not through a lens of company/programs/rebates/sales goals, ask them. they're selling tires every day and know what to put on their own vehicles.

Edited by grossgary

If you're staying with Costco, I've had the Michelin MXV4 on out 2001 Outback LTD and they lasted about 50K before I replaced them for the winter. I would say they were just average as far as wet traction. I replaced them at Costco with the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus and they ride much nicer and are better in wet than the Michelin Primacy MXV4 were.

Since snow isn't your issue I would consider them as a better choice. We haven't had much snow the last 2 seasons but I have no reason to think they would not perform as well as the Michelins and the Bridgestone's a more tame ride and better handling tire.

Edited by Suzam

Thanks much for all your comments.  The last one in particular is very useful, comparing the specific Michelins to the specific Bridgestones, because those started out as the two top contenders.  I can get the Bridgestones on sale immediately, which has an advantage in that I'm already noticing handling difficulties, mostly on turns, even in dry conditions.  (I was advised not to drive in cold, wet weather!)  I read the Bridgestone reviews and was a little concerned by some of them, but an actual experience comparing these tires on this vehicle is most useful.  I will revisit the Bridgestone reviews and consider getting my tires soon.  With a 30 day return policy, if I don't like them right away, I can exchange for the Michelin's when they go on sale.  One reason I was leaning away from the Bridgestone tires is that I have Bridgestones now (Potenza, I think), and they only lasted 35,000 miles!  But I noticed no problems until now, when they went downhill immediately.  Traction is still good on the straight aways, with no slipping.

If anyone else has experience with the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus, especially toward the end of its rated life, please chime in!

I had the opposite experience of Suzam!  I went from the Bridgestone to the Michellin (same model tires) and am much happier with the Michellins.  I found the Michellin's to be quieter and smoother.  I didn't like the wet and snow handling on Bridgestones from day 1, although were acceptable in the dry, but only acceptable.  I haven't had the Michellins in the snow yet, but in the PNW wet weather and our very dry summer, they've been great.

I would also look at the Goodyear Triple Tread, the sportier one.  I have read great reviews of that one and friends with it have really liked it.  I would have bought those too, but Costco was having a sale on the Michellins.  :)

My experience with the Michelins was like this:

The first 20K the tires were good for wet and snow. I noticed that during this time the treadwear was dropping fast by a good 30 -35% (estimate by measuring with a penny) then the traction started to suffer and I developed an understeering problem in snow first then wet. I even went so far as to have the alignment redone at a mechanic I trust. I then discovered, trough research, that the rubber compound in these Michelins becomes different as they wear down, the more wear the harder the compound becomes as the tread becomes thinner.

Softer tires will wear faster but I'd rather have a tire perform more consistantly for 45K life than have it degrade to the point that you modify your driving habits for saftey reasons for an additional 15K.

Edited by Suzam

I have shopped tires in the past at my Costco, but was not impressed with their prices. Prices didn't seem high,  just competitive with other tire stores. So, I couldn't see any good reason to buy tires at Costco. About two years ago, I put Yokohama tires on, first time I bought that brand. They have held up well, and perform well.

I agree with Suzam. My experience with Michelin, is that the tires will last forever, but performance falls off after a few years. The tire rubber seems hard, and doesn't grip well in the snow or rain after 30K miles.

Thanks for your continued input.  I'm researching away and will post my conclusions soon.  Any experience with the Yokohama Avid Ascend?  I understand it is a harder ride but grippy and responsive.  Also greener technology and manufacturing.  The Nokian WRG2 seems like a great tire but there's little snow and slush where I live.  The Nokian eNTYRE is another possible choice.  More thoughts?

A quickie post about the Avid Ascends:  one commenter noted how much his gas mileage dropped on a Prius, though praised the quiet and comfort.  Another said: 

"Really quiet and comfortable tire. Preforms well under hard braking and cornering. Its street nature is evident in any sort of offroading. These tires are not made for anything resembling mud! Otherwise they've been great so far."

I realized I forgot to ask about offroading.  I do take my Outback offroad occasionally and may want to do more of that as she ages and I'm not so concerned about body condition.  Driving in the mud is a lot of fun in this car and I don't want to compromise that with the wrong tire.  So one more thing to consider and inquire about.....

An addition later on after doing more research:  Pirelli P7Cinturato All Season Plus is a new tire in my size that gets great reviews and ranks #1 in its class on tirerack.com.  It's a luxury touring tire with apparently great handling characteristics in all conditions (except offroad, I imagine, or mud).  Any thoughts on using a touring tire on an Outback LLBean model?  Advantage to me could be that it may take a lot of wear off me, as I've always found it physically tiring to drive my car.  The effort to control the car and wheel are great, and I'm not a wimpy person, but I don't have the long, strong arms of a guy.  Could encourage me to take those road trips I've been avoiding.

Thanks and happy thanksgiving to all!

Edited by pearlwhite