Ultimate Subaru Message Board

94 1.8 turbo on an 86 GL Transmission

:ph34r: post-50622-0-21796400-1385053555_thumb.jpegpost-50622-0-71495000-1385053543_thumb.jpg I just rebuilt an 85 GL. Put a 94 Wagon 1.8 turbo with wiring harness in it and an 86 GL Transmission. I put a brand new clutch plate, flywheel off the 85, and new bearing in it. So now my clutch doesn't seem to engage and my adjuster is bottoming out. What the heck did I do wrong?  :wacko:

Edited by dherzog1984

hi,

i have seen it that folks put the clutch disc in backwards causing the disc springs to bind on the flywheel,, the disc is basically flat on one side and the springs a little offset on the other side,, the offset side has to go toward the pressure plate, flat side to the flywheel.

not saying this is the problem but it does happen.

A bit obvious, but is the clutch cable outer sheath secured so it can't move?

I've once had one of those springs in the clutch plate come out & get jammed between the pressure plate & clutch plate. But this is extremely rare and due to a manufacturing fault

Did you have the old bits to compare against the new bits ? I did, and still picked out the wrong bits and ended up with similar problems you have described.If you send ten bucks to my PO Box,I'll send you the answer ......gonna have to start that in here, but modernise it a bit and go paypal :)

You know, I was playing with 225mm clutches from both EA81 and EA82 and managed to shove an EA82 pressure plate in 225mm with an EA81 clutch disc on an EA81 225mm flywheel. If it was not for the fact EA81 used 23mm step and EA82 pressure plate was happy to work with a 21mm step - that 2mm difference gave me cause to time engine out in 45 minutes and back in and running with a 23mm step pressure plate in 90 minutes.

I don;t think a friction plate can go in wrong way on these as crank bolts hit the plate ?

I think the hole you see in the middle of all th spring fingers differs between EA81 and EA82 225mm pressure plate so bearing may touch in different position, less leverage ? Don't shoot me if I am wrong here .....

Edited by jono

You problems are a blessing in disquise.  The GL transmission is a 3.9 gear ratio, however your rear turbo differential is a 3.7 gear ratio.  Had you been succesful at assembling everything, then your back end would want to drive faster than your front end.

I think on;y the engine is turbo.

The car is an 85 GL so 3.9. should be fine.

Most of that doesn't really apply.

You have a 225mm push type. 

It is possible though that you got a late EA81 (Brat, Hatch) clutch set.  and with the new flywheel who knows if that's EA81 or EA82.

You go the part#s of the stuff you put in?

or if you say 'new' flywheel - wasn't new as in fresh off the shelf ? Did you have it machined ? It would be up to the machinist to check what the step should be, should machine both planes/levels to maintain spec. And, when others are fiddling and need to use a clutch of one step may have flywheel machined to suit clutch not specs - they might have been supplied wrong clutch on Christmas Eve, or only had one choice of clutch in the boondocks/ past the black stump/ back o' Bourke and ingenuity came into play to stuff you around years later.

Those paper clip looking clips on the clutch release bearing sometimes come out broken or missing and not been a cause of any noticed problem.

Others also tinker with the adjustment of the pivot ball the fork works on