Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hitachi Go-To Guy

I would think the cost to weberize would be the same as having someone else rebuild  the hatachi . 

Way more expensive to convert to weber.  I don't really consider them an upgrade.  At least not until they've been tuned correct.....which very few are.  You can easily lose gas mileage, develope idle and driveability issues, and fight run-on dieseling.

The rebuild kit is ~$25 and it's easy to do yourself or pay a shop I charge $75 one hour labor.  No shop should charge much more than that or your getting ripped off.

Hitachis are easy.....there is nothing to lose inside except one little ball at the bottom of the accel pump but reassembly is so obvious no way to screw it up really unless you break something...

As long as you don't have too much throttle shaft play, your hitachi will be great after a rebuild.  Spend the 25 bucks and do it yourself.  Make sure to remove the emulsion tubes and blow them out that's the biggest issue they have.

Way more expensive to convert to weber.  I don't really consider them an upgrade.  At least not until they've been tuned correct.....which very few are.  You can easily lose gas mileage, develope idle and driveability issues, and fight run-on dieseling.

The rebuild kit is ~$25 and it's easy to do yourself or pay a shop I charge $75 one hour labor.  No shop should charge much more than that or your getting ripped off.

Hitachis are easy.....there is nothing to lose inside except one little ball at the bottom of the accel pump but reassembly is so obvious no way to screw it up really unless you break something...

As long as you don't have too much throttle shaft play, your hitachi will be great after a rebuild.  Spend the 25 bucks and do it yourself.  Make sure to remove the emulsion tubes and blow them out that's the biggest issue they have.

I am new to this forum, but I have a rust-free '84 GL that has been to two places in Madison WI who cannot seem to find a new carb. The baby has sat for over a year, so I wanted to check here....and low and behold it seems like you can fix it...correct? Please e-mail me at jofunk@hotmail.com if you are interested. I can get it boxed up and sent over. Or, the second shop was telling me to just buy a new one. Doubt those exist. Looking for some advice & help here if  possible. Thanks! 

+1  Many if not most people go to the Weber because they are unnecessarily intimidated by the Hitachi rebuild or have false preconceptions about it's worth which are perpetuated on this forum by people who don't really know. 

In reality, tuning the Weber correctly requires as much, if not more, attention to detail than rebuilding a Hitachi.  Individuals that don't want to deal with learning enough about carbs to rebuild the Hitachi generally probably don't get their Webers dialed in correctly.  I do consider the Weber an upgrade, but only if it is properly tuned, otherwise it's really just a band-aid that is an order of magnitude more expensive than the Hitachi rebuild.