Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I tried the switch to leather heated seats in my 99 OBW, but did not find any unused wiring to plug into. I brought a huge hunk of wiring harness from the donor car, a 97 OBW, but could never figure out the wiring. So, I got the nice leather seats installed, but not heated. Can someone tell us how to do this project, or where to look for unused wire harness?

Most outbacks didn't come with the plugs for heated seats if they weren't equipped with them factory. If you have the hunk of floor harness, you're in good shape to wire them up. As factory it's integrated with the harness that runs up the passenger side of the car and plugs into the dash harness in the kickpanel. Well, if it wasn't a heated seat car, those wires aren't in the dash harness either.

The easiest solution is to thin down the heated seat floor harness to the two seat plugs, the two switch plugs, and the power, ground, and illumination feed wires to the switches. Ground can go to a sheet metal screw into the seat crossmember on the floor, power and illumination can get tapped into the cigar lighter. Run the wires up inside the console and scotch-lock them into the lighters wiring. Fish the two seat plugs out under the carpet, and you're in business.

My dad's Legacy Brighton has heated cloth seats, a tach, map lights, rear door speakers, front tweeters, cd player, folding door mirrors, rear wiper, cruise control, all options I swapped in from other cars.

I grabbed the Switch assembly, and all the wiring between them and the seats.

Didn't have any existing plugs.....cause I installed them in an '86 GL Wagon. 

Wired it up to a new circuit on it's own relay. Straight from battery fused power, mounted behind strut tower. Relay triggered on by the Wiper circuits "acc" power circuit, so I can have them on listening to radio in car without key on.....but they go off with key off.

Pretty much all the wiring is in the switch harness, you just need to supply power and ground to it.

Edited by Gloyale