Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 subaru outback 2.5 transmission swap. not your regular quesiton

OK so my brothers Transmission went out on him at 140k thought it was just the clutch pack dieing on him so we replaced that. After replacing the clutch and the rear clutch pack the thing would not shift at all. Turns out the whole thing is shot on the inside I think its the synchros or something. Anyways  I have a line on a transmission from a 2000 2.2 mprezza that has a Final drive ratio of 3.90 while my brothers has a FD of 4.11. My question is if I swap out the rear clutch packs from the outback transmission to the new Imprezza transmission will that fix the binding problem or is it the actual internals of the transmission that is different. The reason I ask is cause I have the new clutch pack that we bought originally.

Anyways any help would be great trying to get this done for him for Christmas. He has been riding his bike but it just got stolen and 4 other bikes of his have gotten stolen in the past year. He works in a bad part of town.

Thanks so much guys

Merry Christmas.

http://www.northursalia.com/techdocs/trannychart/trannychart.pdf

Just to prove I have done my research /\

* if the thing wouldn't shift at all after a clutch job and center diff replacement then i'd think something about the repair work is wrong and the transmission may be fine.

simple/short answer - swap in a matching rear 3.9 differential to match the impreza transmission.

long answer: swapping the rear extension/center diff ("clutch packs" it seems you're calling it) will not cure the different final drive ratios.

final drive ratios are set in the:
1.  front differential (integrated into the transmission)

2.  rear differential

those two have to match.  so if you swap in a transmission with a different final drive ratio (different front differential) then you have to do one of two things:

1. swap the rear differential to match (easiest solutin i mentioned in the short answer)

2.  swap front differential from OB trans to impreza trans

*technically* speaking you can swap front differentials but it's a highly involved process with lots of issues regarding pinion depth, front diff bearing preload, and backlash...almost no one does it.  i'm getting ready to do it and i'm not very confident or excited about it.

So the best thing realistically to do would be to find a transmission with the right front differential. Makes sense. dont really wanna go to all the work of replacing the trans and the rear diff would rather just replace the Trans. Thanks so much guys you have made my life way easier.

I will keep looking for a 4.11 trans.

Ohhh and to answer the first question I didn't take the transmission out or do the work. Most of this has been explained to me over the phone so not sure exactly when the transmission died. I know it was not shifting properly for a long time even before replaced the clutch but all my info is second hand. All I know is that upon taking it apart there was some major internal damage.

OK so my brothers Transmission went out on him at 140k thought it was just the clutch pack dieing on him so we replaced that. After replacing the clutch and the rear clutch pack the thing would not shift at all. Turns out the whole thing is shot on the inside I think its the synchros or something. Anyways  I have a line on a transmission from a 2000 2.2 mprezza that has a Final drive ratio of 3.90 while my brothers has a FD of 4.11. My question is if I swap out the rear clutch packs from the outback transmission to the new Imprezza transmission will that fix the binding problem or is it the actual internals of the transmission that is different. The reason I ask is cause I have the new clutch pack that we bought originally.

Anyways any help would be great trying to get this done for him for Christmas. He has been riding his bike but it just got stolen and 4 other bikes of his have gotten stolen in the past year. He works in a bad part of town.

Thanks so much guys

Merry Christmas.

http://www.northursalia.com/techdocs/trannychart/trannychart.pdf

Just to prove I have done my research /\

Auto or Manual?

Do you mean the clutch and the VLSD center diff of the manual trans???

Or the "clutch pack" of the rear transfer on an automatic trans??