Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can I pull the engine and transmission out as one unit

can you estimate an approximate "highest" point of the lift when the engine/trans combo is pulled as a lump? 

8 feet?

i've done this before, but the space i've got this time is less since i know it gets really vertical pulling both.

with garage door closed i don't have enough room to slide the lift away from the car

with garage door open, it closes off the open space above and i don't have the room to lift as high

i can alternately:

1. lift as high as garage door allows, then lift the rear of the trans separately so it's more horizontal and slides over the radiator cross member

or

2. roll the entire contraption out of the garage when i'm ready to pull it, i'd rather avoid that though.

Copy Pierobon's beta,

You won't need to lift and prop as high as mine is shown. 

My rig is 3+ inches over stock, thus pretty high on truck stands to get the wheels off to begin with.  I don't remember 100% but I may have been swapping the rear differential also in this project, so it was good to have the car high up.  Also, with the lift, it makes pulling axles a bit more work too, so the tips Pierobon mentioned would all be good and valid in a non-lifted rig, probably valid for a stock outback as well.

This shot is also a little extraordinary, more for the pic than the process, you don't need nearly this overhead space...

P1080394.JPG

Its nice to get the thing high to work underneath getting the exhaust and drive shaft out and the shift linkages off, but then you could drop it back down low for the trans-eng pull.  Additionally, as you're pulling, once you get the oil pan out past the rad support, you can shimmy forward and tilt without having to keep pulling up and forward. It's nice to have the hoist chained pretty low to the engine to maximize lift-ability too, but that'll also minimize total overhead space requirements. 

Copy not wanting to push the car out in winter, but if you do the work in the front of the garage it won't be THAT bad to push the car out, roll the stuff forward then bring the car back in, and you gain a little reassurance room.

Take tips and tricks from folks that have pulled many engines (check out milesfox's got a youtube channel. there's amusing "day-in-the-life" footage but he's also loaded with tips and tricks). Admittedly I've dropped the transmission once for a clutch and transmission swap, and pulled the engine-transmission twice (once for engine seals and timing/water pump and the other for another transmission swap), and I definitely recommend the combo!!

Edited by superu

About the tiles in my garage, eh...

Car is form grandpa, house is from grandpa... haha.

Sao Paulo is hot, air is hotter than 80F for 80% of the year, reaching 100F now and then, so if you can do ceramic you will have a cooler house. Also, it's way easier to clean... so pretty much every house here has ceramic kitchens and bathrooms, it's really impossible to find people who build with wood and wallpaper, it's always bricks and cement, way cheaper too!

nice to know people appreciate my third world place =)

Pierobon,

Yeah, I noticed Sao Paulo and recognized the style.  I'm sure cleaning the place out is a snap, hose it out, pressure washer for the extra tough spots!  :D

AAND, I'll add that its not JUST the heat you're contending with, its the humidity too!  THAT is the real kicker!

Here in Moab, temps get over 100+, often over 110F for a few days or a week or two, but with humidity like 6%-12% its okay. It sucks but its escapeable and passable.

that said, flip flops are a standard though here!!  B)

But it does get like -15-20F and colder too. . . .

I certainly appreciate the simpler construction methods and materials there (and elsewhere too)!  Our "stick-built" homes are a different matter for sure, as well as cost, but then with seasonality in latitude, different means for different reasons  :rolleyes:

I haven't made it to Brazil yet, but yes to the Dominican, Costa Rica and I have family in Honduras (thus I got to meet JesZek ;) and made it there November 5 years ago.

I definitely appreciate your "third world place"! ;)

Apologies for the tangential mini hijack (and I'd love to see some of your country and country-land photos Pierobon ;) murfmv!  B)

carry on!  there's some good info in here!  :P

Edited by superu
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Back on track.

So we pulled the EJ253 out of an 05 RS last night.

These studs on the bottom of the block are a 3!+$# to slide the transmission off of

2014-01-12%252021.20.35.jpg

BUT, here we had the car jacked up pretty high on stands with a slack chain on the block (not tucked down tight)

2014-01-12%252021.21.51.jpg

AND we were still under 8' total clearance with the pull

2014-01-12%252021.22.18.jpg

also with under 5' of liberal room in front of the car to back the jack out and maneuver it.

So you'll be fine in your garage.  Even with the hood propped with the regular place, that's a good indication of overhead clearance needed if you tuck the hoist chain closer to the block...

BEST!

-mw-

Edited by superu

• 2 months later...

I'm totally amazed that you are doing this work in flip flops and everything is so clean.

If anyone like my pictures, and wants to give me a job, I am currently wandering around Europe knocking on every auto shop I can find.

Just send me a PM, I will probably answer in less than 3 days max.

Appreciate your help!

I'm totally amazed that you are doing this work in flip flops and everything is so clean. I will probably pull the radiator also, to protect and give me more room.

I don't think it was a good idea to let the baby crawl under the back of the car............doesn't look safe for the kid. He needs to be a lot older, before he starts wrenching on a Subie.

I don't think it was a good idea to let the baby crawl under the back of the car............doesn't look safe for the kid. He needs to be a lot older, before he starts wrenching on a Subie.

Oh my, what can I say?

I'm sorry, I should have called you before wrenching on my own... LoL

If you were old enough, you would strive to learn how to do it even beter!

Sorry about the bad news for you, pal.

Hmm, changing the diff fluid was complete, the car's not on stands or a jack but its own weight on the ground....

Is it that I let him crawl on (wait for it ;)the ground, outside?

Part of the active Gen X crowd and as a very involved (as in full time stay-at-home dad for 14 months of his life and continuing as part time now with 2 boys) father, I believe teaching, showing, sharing and experiencing are all amazing ways for children to learn about and interact with their environment.  I know parenting strategies and allowances range the board and is about as comfortable to talk about as religion and politics, but it was a completely safe situation. He was never that into putting random anythings in his mouth and has always (and continues to be) been very good at heading my warnings about unsafe things.

I respect and appreciate your comment and concern and please rest assured, I am not exposing him to dangerous situations, particularly caustic or toxic ones, but rather experiences and adventures. He's 4 now, and rides a pedal bike (helmet always) on bike paths and even local single track trails (I do live in Moab after all ;)

Father and fathering pride expressed, however I digress from this tangential hijack   ;) 

• Like 1

If anyone like my pictures, and wants to give me a job, I am currently wandering around Europe knocking on every auto shop I can find.

Just send me a PM, I will probably answer in less than 3 days max.

Appreciate your help!

travelling around Europe?  for fun I hope! ;)

ciao

Oh my... this is sweet :) I think I can hear my '99 saying "thanks" from the garage :)

I was considering replacing the transmission before, but the idea of crawling underneath the car to remove the transmission wasn't really that interesting. But if I remove both things together it would be much, much easier.

My only concern now is whether the cherry picker I got would be capable of dealing with the engine+transmission :/ I got the 1 ton from Harbor Freight... any estimate of how much the engine+transmission can weight?

I'm right there with you on your views superu, my 3 year old hangs out with me when I'm wrenching all the time. And if it weren't for my dad doing the same with me when I was little I probably wouldn't have gotten into cars like I have. And I fully intend to pass on his legacy to the next generation if that's what they want to learn.

• Like 1

travelling around Europe? for fun I hope! ;)

ciao

Like I said, I'm knocking door to door on every garage I can find, looking for a job. Of course that's fun, you get to know all the tiny villages!

My only concern now is whether the cherry picker I got would be capable of dealing with the engine+transmission :/ I got the 1 ton from Harbor Freight... any estimate of how much the engine+transmission can weight?

I can carry the whole transmission barehanded (with some effort, of course).

Half a ton weight limit should be enough capacity, but maybe not enough height clearance.

With a ton crane you can lift the entire front of the car to put it on top of service blocks. Just watch out where you are fixing the chain - engine mount or suspension wishbone is ok, make sure you stay clear of the drive shaft.

Ah, and never use a metal hook if you are doig that, use a huge nylon strap.

Oh my... this is sweet :) I think I can hear my '99 saying "thanks" from the garage :)

I was considering replacing the transmission before, but the idea of crawling underneath the car to remove the transmission wasn't really that interesting. But if I remove both things together it would be much, much easier.

I'd guestimate the engine AND transmission together might be around a quarter ton, I.e. 500# (probly on the heavier side). I just moved a couple transmissios this weekend solo and I've lifted and moved an ea71 solo before (granted an ej2x is heavier), but I'd say you're still under half a ton total dead mass.

And yes, dropping a transmission out the bottom sucks! Pick the mated pair out the top to get the gearbox. :)

Edited by superu
  • Like 1

Well I'm the one who posted this in the first place.  The engine and transmission  weighs only about 250 lbs. Make sure you have the height and some forward space as you need to unweight the transmission end slightly as you are going out and up. We had to remove and replace the engine twice because, I never had driven my neighbor's car before I started.  The original transmission turned and sounded OK.  I changed oil pan, valve cover and real seal gaskets as the engine was leaking badly.  Reinstalled and test ran it.  What a noise that was coming from the transmission!  Repulled the engine, bought a used one from the internet and reinstalled.  Did an autopsy on the transmission and found the rear shaft bearing shot and also suspected fwd trans axle bearings needing replacement.  I think it is easier to pull the engine transmission then just pulling the engine also if you just had engine work.