Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 Subaru Brat Transmission Issue

Hey Guys, 

I recently bought this 85 Subaru Brat. I just got it back to my house which is 6 hours away from where I bought it. I did some tinkering with the Carburetor and cleaned it up a bit and it drove pretty well, more or less.

However, Once I made it into my home town, I was going up the first real hill it has gone up since I have owned it. I was going about 35mph and in 3rd gear. Out of nowhere it made a funky noise almost like a clicking noise so I instantly decided to pull over and check it out.  

Once I started it back up I was able to physically feel first gear and get it in gear but it would not move. It would not move in any gear I put it in. I was able to put it in 4lo and get it to my house at least. (it seemed to drive OK) but 4WD or 2WD does not seem to want to go, I cant even feel any sort of engaging. 

Does anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks,

Andrew

You have a stripped hub or blown CV. Both are simple fixes once you have the parts. 

Once you replace whatever is broken; make sure that the hardened washer and cone washer are there. Should either of these be missing it will cause the CV to strip the hub. Can't stress that enough. It also can cause other problems like messing up the caliper. 

The transmission is fine.