Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New member, need alternator advice for 97 Legacy

Hey everyone, Im looking for some advice for my new (to me) car. Its a 97 legacy outback with only 73k on it. Ive owned it for almost a month now and as is with any used car there are a few issues. The one im most worried about is that when i hit my brakes, operate windows, wipers, etc. anything electrical, my lights go dim and my wipers slow down.

The car has a brand new battery. I tested the alternator and it is making 14.7 v like it should, but only 0.5 amp under load (85 amp alternator, should be making at least 30 under load) . For the amount of time ive owned it the condition hasnt gotten worse, everything still works fine, starts in the close to 0 temps, im just wondering if this is something that needs immediate attention. Im aware that the legacy was recalled for alternator issues many years ago, but it has a remanufactured alternator and im assuming this simply has to do with age.

On an unrelated topic, how bad is an oil pan gasket job on these? She marks her territory a little...

Im an auto tech in training and try to do everything i can myself, but my service info called for an engine hoist...

Welcome to the USMB!  "On an unrelated topic"--are you sure it's the oil pan gasket that's leaking?  More common is valve cover gaskets leaking--a relatively easy fix.  Or possibly the front crank or cam seals, hidden behind the timing belt covers.  Best bet is to give the engine a good cleaning underneath then inspect regularly to find the track of the leak.

Others will chime in about the alternator.  Good luck.

I had similar electrical issues with my '95 Impreza before the alternator bit the dust. Like you, car started fine in the cold weather, everything worked normally. It was when I applied my brakes that I noticed my headlights dimmed, wipers sslowed down. Finally, the battery light in my instrument cluster came on, alerting me to an issue. I was only getting 11.5V out of the alternator and at the battery posts. The great guys on here directed me to a bad alternator. I replaced it and all my problems are gone.

Check your grounds and make sure they are nice amd tight and not corroded. I've seen a simple poor ground cause all sorts of goofy things to happen.

Good advice to check all the ground connections.  However, if you checked the alternator and found it defective, just go ahead and replace it.  It's not unusual for a 17 year old alternator to need replacement.  It's not expensive and easy to change.

There is a bunch of discussion on this same topic in another recent thread:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/143451-is-my-alternator-going-bad/?hl=alternator

including info about a cheap rebuilt alternator ($80) available from the dealer for this vintage of Legacy.

Shouldn't need a hoist/remove the engine for the oil pan gasket.  Ultra grey RTV is what most people use and it can be done with the engine still in the car.  Check out the factory service manual you can find online here at http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/

Here is a video that a board member (Miles Fox) did on the oil pan (he uses a cork gasket plus ultra grey RTV) but he does include some verbal instruction about how it can be done from under the car.

Edited by upnorthguy

Thanks for all the help, guys. Especially appreciate the service info, ive been looking for that.

I went out and checked the ground connerctions and they all seemed ok. Due to the blizzard that just went through i havent really gotten a chance to get underneath it all that much to look for the leak. In anticipation i picked up a Fel-Pro cork oil pan gasket for $5, so i wont be out that much should it be something else.

My local junkyard has a good deal on alternators, $19.35 with a 30 day warrenty for 10% of the price. I was going to pick up an alternator and throw it on a bench tester before putting it on the car.

Since the car seems to start up okay even in the cold I have to question your current measurement results. There is no way the battery could stay charged up with only .5 amps of charging current. There seems to be a bad connection between the battery and the panel under the hood possibly or perhaps the the ignition switch. Use your voltmeter to check where the drop is occurring. Check the panel under the hood first and if that is okay check the fuse panel in the dash. If that is low suspect the ignition switch or the wiring to it for a problem. Think in logical steps. As far as grounds go, you can't just look at them and presume they are okay. They need to be verified to be working okay by looking for a voltage drop using a known good reference ground point to compare with.