Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ready to pull engine!? Can't stop check engine EGR code..

Hey guys, I've got a 1996 Legacy L sedan. 200K on it total

I bought this poor old car for cheap with a bad transmission. Long ridiculous story later I had the car finally together with a 135K mile used auto AWD trans new CV axle etc. All new shocks/struts. I've put way too much time/money into it over $2K total, a car I intended to fix and flip, and its still got a horrible old body needs a bunch of bodywork and new paint job..

SO I recently sold it to a good friend of mine in need of a 2nd vehicle for him and his new family, a situation mutually beneficial to us both.

One last main problem is a check-engine light that keeps coming back on, P0400 EGR code!

I've changed the main EGR valve out with another, cleaned out EGR tube and replaced vacuum lines, and just recently replaced the EGR vacuum solenoid ($100 part my buddy bought for his new car).

Code-keeps-coming-back.

Ok we both know what the car is- what-it-is no sugar coating, good old running workhorse and even if the engine is 'on-its-last-leg' with over 200K miles and using over a quart of oil every 3,000 miles between burning off & multiple engine seal leaks... It still runs totally solid and makes power like a stock 2.2 does through the whole rev range! No reason to kill it yet..

But my buddy needs his car registered now and I'm not seeing options..

This morning I have the drivers wheel and hub off the car, fixing a nail puncture in tire and I have wheel bearing/seals to be pressed into that hub (which was a junk-yard hub I installed and wheel bearing seems to be bad)

Local tear-a-part junk yard has two 96 legacys and two 97 legacys in the yard, i was going to investigate see which ones weren't GT's and if any decent lookin 2.2L engines with EGR may be worth pulling?

What other options or testing do I have left to see if I could get EGR code to stop and leave the engine that's in it for now, pass I/M inspection?

Edited by TajMan

I cleaned the transducer UFO looking thing with carb cleaner until it looked like no more carbon deposits coming out of it then with air, I'll do my best to further clean those throttle vac ports and any other related vac ports I can see...

What is the vac line for which goes down from throttle body to the other solenoid valve under the passenger side intake runners (looks similar to the EGR vacuum solenoid I just replaced).. what does that solenoid vacuum switch do? hard to access that to replace that line without removing intake manifold..

Edited by TajMan

What is the vac line for which goes down from throttle body to the other solenoid valve under the passenger side intake runners (looks similar to the EGR vacuum solenoid I just replaced).. what does that solenoid vacuum switch do? hard to access that to replace that line without removing intake manifold..

that's the evap fuel system vent/purge solenoid