Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Complete CV joint failure - no power to driver's side wheel

I made the mistake of driving my car with a clicking / tugging CV joint because of the snow today, and now I completely lost power to the driver's side front wheel.  Is it OK to drive home about 15 miles or so or am I risking damaging something like the front differential?  It looks like the axle is still holding up by the rest of the torn boot.

Thanks

I don't think it would be a good idea to drive home with that problem, If it were me, Just can't be safe to drive like that, or know what additional damage to the car driving would do.I would have the car towed home on a flat bed wrecker. Many times your car insurance, or a AAA membership will pay for the tow.

emergency help with some rather technical twist - and you don't tell us if it's an auto/manual?  silly rabbit!

can you work on it or you have no place/tools?  would be worth pulling the boot and seeing if it's a simple repair at all

if you have an automatic it would be much easier:  unplug the transmission wiring harness and it'll drive in 3rd gear and "locked" 4WD.  that will give you power to the rear for sure and should get you home.  it would be fine to drive it like that for 15 miles....but the offending axle should be removed so it doesn't cut loose - you really don't want a shaft slinging around at high RPM's, bad things will happen.  so go 5 mph if you do drive it. lol

if it's a manual trans you don't want to be revving up that center differential and it's not a good idea.

+1 for automatics being more robust in emergency situations!

Edited by grossgary

ah crack!  i can't think of a good way to limp it home in a manual due to the VLSD center diff.

only hope i can think of would be if you can take a peak and see if the circlip or something simple came apart and could put it back together.

artificially "seize" your front caliper so it holds that brake tighter and sends power to the other side...LOL

Darn it!  well thanks for the info.  I'm glad I posted here otherwise I would have been tempted to just drive it home.  I don't think it's something simple because the boot has been torn open and making noises forever.

Edited by DavieGravy